EU, EEA and Swiss Students

EU, EEA and Swiss students coming to live in the UK on or after 1 January 2021 will need to apply for and secure a Student visa before arrival. EU, EEA and Swiss nationals already residing in the UK by 31 December 2020 should not need to do this but will need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme by the relevant deadline in order to regularise their status. Please see our Brexit, EU, EEA and Swiss Students webpage for further information. 

Apply for a Student visa from inside the UK

Not everyone who holds a UK visa is automatically eligible to apply for a Student visa within the UK. Student Visa Services can help you assess whether you are eligible to apply here or whether you will need to leave the UK to make your application. Please contact us for advice in good time.

If you already hold Tier 4 or Student leave, to apply in the UK you will need to meet the Academic Progression requirements. 

You should be eligible to apply in the UK provided you are not here on immigration bail, and you currently have any type of immigration permission except:

  • visitor
  • short-term student
  • parent of a child student
  • seasonal worker
  • domestic worker in a private household
  • permission outside the Immigration Rules​

For information on how to apply for a Student visa outside the UK please visit this webpage

How to apply for your Student visa

It is important you have all the necessary documents and information available before you start, to make a successful application.

  1. Get your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number
    • If are a new student coming to Bristol from a different UK educational institution, a relevant admissions team will issue your CAS once you have met all the conditions of your offer. Please note that if you submit your visa application more than 3 months before the course start date it will be refused
    • If you are a current Bristol student and can extend your visa in the UK, you can email us to request a CAS eligibility form
  2. Get the documents you must prepare. When you make a new visa application you will need to meet the financial requirements again, unless you have been living in the UK with permission (of any visa type) for 12 months or more on the date you apply for the visa and are making your visa application in the UK. In this case, there is no requirement to show finances. However, if you cannot meet this 12-month residence requirement, you will require either proof of official financial sponsorship or private funds in a bank account for a 28 day period for one year’s tuition fees plus maintenance (living expenses). You can read more about financial requirements here
  3. Find out out if you qualify to apply under the differential evidence requirement and how this may affect the list of documents you may need to submit with your application
  4. If you have any dependants (partner or/and children) applying with you, please visit our Dependants webpage. For your partner to apply for a visa extension with you, you will need proof of your partner residing at the same address, such as a council tax or utility bill, bank statement in their name, or other official letters addressed either to you jointly or to them at your address.
  5. You can find out about the current application costs on this government webpage. As well as the application fee, you will also need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge, which is set at £470 per each year of visa and is calculated in 6-month blocks. Please visit this webpage for information on how the UKVI calculate the IHS payments. Wrap-up time awarded after the CAS end date will be counted as well, so a student taking a 4-year PhD programme for example will be liable for 4.5 years of IHS payments upfront. 
  6. Once you have received your CAS, start the UKVI online application form. To submit your application you will need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) and then the application fee. You should then be able to download PDF's of your document checklist and completed application form, either of which can act as proof of application.
  7. If you are from the EEA and use the UK Immigration: ID Check app to prove your identity when applying for your visa, you will not get a BRP. Your immigration status will be stored digitally instead.
  8. If you receive a new BRP, please be aware that your new BRP replaces your old BRP, so even if you have time left on your old BRP it will no longer be valid and cannot be used for travel.

Student Visa Policy Guidance and information

Read the UKVI Student visa Policy Guidance here

For more advice and guidance, please see the Study UK: British Council website.

Contact us

Find out how to contact us

Edit this page