Bringing your family and dependants


Not all Tier 4 students can bring family to the UK as dependants. Not all family members are classified as dependants.

For eligibility, please read the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) guidelines on family members, or the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) guidelines on dependants.


Dependants must have at least £680 per month for the duration of the student's visa in the UK, for a maximum of 9 months.

  • Students must show funding until their course end date.
  • Dependants must show funding until the student’s course end date, plus an additional 4 months. This is always capped at 9 months. 
  • If the length of the Dependant visa is likely to be less than 9 months, funding calculation will depend of the applicant's current immigration status and location. Please contact us for more information.

Read the UKVI's Points based system (PBS) dependant - Policy Guidance for more details.

Applying outside the UK

If dependants are outside the UK, they must apply for entry clearance from the British authorities in their home country before they travel to the UK.

It is simpler to apply at the same time as the main applicant. The application form should make clear that the dependant(s) are accompanying the main applicant who will be studying in the UK.

If applications are not submitted at the same time as the main applicant, a copy of the main applicant's student visa must be included when the dependant(s) applies for entry clearance. The application form should make clear that the dependant(s) are accompanying the main applicant who will be studying in the UK.

How to apply

  • Apply for your Tier 4 Dependant Visa using the online application form available on the Visa4UK website.
  • When asked for the visa type, please select PBS Tier 4 Student. For visa sub type, please select Tier 4 (General) Dependant Partner or Tier 4 (General) Dependant Child.
  • The online form contains details of the documents required. Where applicable these are the same as those listed for students.

Applying inside the UK

Dependants must apply online. It is simpler if you and your dependants apply to extend your visas at the same time.

How to apply

The student should make an online Tier 4 visa application and their dependants can be included in the same online application form.  If your dependants are not applying at the same time, they will need to make a separate application to you online, this is different for dependant - partner and dependant - child.

Our Student Visa Advisers can check your application and accompanying documents at a drop-in session, and send them to UKVI on your behalf.

Edit this page