News and features
Ukraine doctoral students offered scholarships at the University of Bristol 18 May 2022 PhD and other doctoral students at universities in Ukraine are being offered six month scholarships at the University of Bristol so they can continue their research.
- Statement: court judgement in relation to Natasha Abrahart's death 20 May 2022 The family of Natasha Abrahart, a 20-year-old Physics student who very sadly took her own life in April 2018, brought a civil action against the University of Bristol. A judgement, handed down today (Friday 20 May) by His Honour Judge Ralton at Bristol County Court, found the University was not negligent, but deemed the adjustments made by the University for Natasha’s assessment were insufficient. This was despite the absence of a disability summary.
- Ivor Victor Franklin, 1925-2022 20 May 2022 Ivor Franklin, a much loved and respected member of the Department of Aerospace Engineering, passed away in March this year. His friends and colleagues Sandy Mitchell and Steve Burrow offer a remembrance.
- Community run leader completed 10k in quarantine hotel room 19 May 2022 A student who ran 650 laps of a quarantine hotel room for last year’s Bristol Run Series is now helping others get the running bug.
- Patients wanted for study aiming to identify factors affecting IVF treatment success 18 May 2022 A University of Bristol-led study into the factors affecting IVF treatment success is looking to recruit 1,500 women and their partners to help researchers identify factors that play a part in whether IVF treatment is successful or not.
- Ukraine doctoral students offered scholarships at the University of Bristol 18 May 2022 PhD and other doctoral students at universities in Ukraine are being offered six month scholarships at the University of Bristol so they can continue their research.
- University of Bristol appoints Nicola Dandridge as Professor of Higher Education Policy 18 May 2022 The University of Bristol is pleased to announce the appointment of Nicola Dandridge to the post of Professor of Higher Education Policy.
- Pioneering new Gambling Harms Research Centre launched at University of Bristol 17 May 2022 A £4 million Gambling Harms Research Centre (GHRC) has been launched to build greater understanding and evidence around the growing and diverse impact of gambling harms across Great Britain.
- Green robotics start-up signs deal with energy giant 16 May 2022 A start-up with University of Bristol roots has signed a deal with energy giant Enel to help keep its estimated 9,000 turbines spinning.
- £2.5m grant boosts carbon reduction for Bristol’s newest research hub 16 May 2022 The University of Bristol’s commitment to sustainability took a significant step forward today (Monday 16 May) with a £2.5 million grant to embed carbon reduction technologies and practices in its first research and innovation hub at Temple Quarter Enterprise Campus.
- New Festival to support survivors of childhood sexual abuse 16 May 2022 Childhood sexual abuse (CSA) affects half a million children and young people every year. In Bristol alone, it is estimated that 13,000 children and young people are currently living with experiences of sexual abuse. In the first event of its kind, University of Bristol researchers and The Green House, Bristol’s only specialist provider of therapeutic support, are collaborating to stage a Festival to support survivors. The Beyond Therapy Festival of Activism Against Child Sexual Abuse will be held on Thursday 19 May at the Watershed.