News and features
Meet the winners of 2021 Doctoral Prizes 23 November 2021 The most interesting theses produced by University of Bristol PhD students have been revealed.
- Smart Internet Lab will deliver Quantum Data Centre of the Future 26 November 2021 The University of Bristol’s pioneering Smart Internet Lab will work with industry partners to develop the first blueprint for a quantum data centre, as part of UKRI’s £170 million Commercialising Quantum Technologies Challenge.
- In the quantum realm, not even time flows as you might expect 26 November 2021 New study shows the boundary between time moving forward and backward may blur in quantum mechanics.
- The 24 year old fixing the ‘toxic’ student rental market 26 November 2021 A former Bristol student bent on fixing the 'toxic' student rental market now employs 10 people and is closing in on £500,000 of funding.
- New site for University of Bristol’s Dental School 25 November 2021 The University of Bristol’s Dental School will move to a new site in 2023 after outgrowing its existing premises at the Dental Hospital in Lower Maudlin Street where it has been based for many years.
- New study suggests asymptomatic testing and vaccination are critical for controlling COVID-19 at universities 25 November 2021 Reducing the transmission of COVID-19 in universities is heavily dependent on vaccination and asymptomatic testing uptake, new research by academics at the University of Bristol has found.
- Science Creates opens second incubator for next generation of scientists-turned-entrepreneurs 25 November 2021 Science Creates, the deep tech ecosystem that nurtures science and engineering start-ups and spin-outs, has today opened its second specialised incubator space in Bristol. It will be home to a new generation of scientists-turned-entrepreneurs leveraging advanced technologies such as AI, synthetic biology, nano technologies and quantum computing which will be used to tackle big problems such as cancer, vaccine development and climate change.
- School staff not at higher risk of death from COVID-19 than other occupations, study finds 24 November 2021 Primary and secondary school staff were not at greater risk of death from COVID-19 in 2020 compared to other professions in England and Wales, new research has found. The study, by researchers at the University of Bristol, analysed data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) national death register for school staff and working adults aged between 20- to 64-years-old.
- Pharmacies could play a crucial role in supporting victims of domestic and sexual abuse 23 November 2021 Pharmacies could play a crucial role in identifying and referring victims of domestic and sexual violence and abuse to specialist services but need ongoing training, support and adequate funding to do so, according to researchers from the University of Bristol's Centre for Academic Primary Care and National Institute for Health Research Applied Research Collaboration West (NIHR ARC West).
- Meet the winners of 2021 Doctoral Prizes 23 November 2021 The most interesting theses produced by University of Bristol PhD students have been revealed.
- University spin-out Ultraleap raises £60 million in latest funding round 19 November 2021 A University of Bristol spin-out company which develops sci-fi-worthy touchless tech has raised £60 million in its latest funding round.