News and features
Bristol researcher wins BHF Research Story of the Year for work on children’s heart plaster 7 December 2023 A University of Bristol researcher who has developed a new type of 'heart plaster' that could improve the way surgeons treat children living with congenital heart disease has won this year's British Heart Foundation (BHF) Research Story of the Year. The award is part of the charity's annual Heart Hero Awards 2023.
- Research calls for urgent focus to reduce the impact of extreme heat on chronic diseases linked to urban environments 7 December 2023 Advanced tools and more experimental studies are needed to urgently understand the impact of extreme heat events on urban health and wellbeing in the UK.
- Bristol researcher wins BHF Research Story of the Year for work on children’s heart plaster 7 December 2023 A University of Bristol researcher who has developed a new type of 'heart plaster' that could improve the way surgeons treat children living with congenital heart disease has won this year's British Heart Foundation (BHF) Research Story of the Year. The award is part of the charity's annual Heart Hero Awards 2023.
- University of Bristol and Science Creates announce £8.5m investment to develop major new incubator on the Temple Quarter Enterprise Campus 6 December 2023 The University of Bristol and deep tech organisation Science Creates have agreed to launch a £8.5m major new incubator in the heart of the new Temple Quarter Enterprise Campus.
- Dose matters: HIV drug could prevent coronaviruses, study finds 5 December 2023 Coronaviruses are a global public health risk, with three highly infectious species, including SARS-CoV-2, emerging in the last 20 years. New research by the University of Bristol has shown how an HIV drug could stop many coronavirus diseases, including the SARS-CoV-2 variants, when given to infected cells at the right concentration. The findings could strengthen the arsenal of antiviral drugs available to combat current and future coronavirus outbreaks.
- Bristol ranked as world's 17th most sustainable university 5 December 2023 The University of Bristol has been named as one of the most sustainable universities in the world, according to a new global league table.
- Professor Mark Birkinshaw, 1954-2023 1 December 2023 Mark Birkinshaw, a distinguished Professor of Cosmology and Astrophysics in the School of Physics, died in July. His colleagues and friends Professor Belinda Wilkes and Emeritus Professor Steven Phillipps share their memories of Mark and recall his significant contributions to the field.
- Bristol co-development will give AI window into complex human activity 1 December 2023 More than 1,400 hours of footage capturing humans performing tasks simultaneously from their point of view and externally, will help give AI models an understanding of how humans carry out activities.
- More people getting into difficulties with credit 1 December 2023 New research has revealed high levels of consumer debt among the majority of UK households.
- Student with narcolepsy to run 70km with University pals 30 November 2023 A student with narcolepsy will need to nap several times as he and five friends take on an epic 70km (43.5mile) run.
- Professor Mike Jones, 1953-2023 30 November 2023 Emeritus Professor Mike Jones died in September. His colleagues Professor Mark Clatworthy and Professor Stuart Cooper offer this remembrance to a pathfinder in many areas of accounting research who served as Professor of Accounting from 2009 to 2020 and as Head of Department of Accounting and Finance from 2009 to 2013.