Scientists discover how birds and dinosaurs evolved to dazzle with colourful displays 10 December 2018 Iridescence is responsible for some of the most striking visual displays in the animal kingdom. Now, thanks to a new study of feathers from almost 100 modern bird species, scientists have gained new insights into how this colour diversity evolved.
- Scientists discover how birds and dinosaurs evolved to dazzle with colourful displays 10 December 2018 Iridescence is responsible for some of the most striking visual displays in the animal kingdom. Now, thanks to a new study of feathers from almost 100 modern bird species, scientists have gained new insights into how this colour diversity evolved.
- Student Awards 2018 celebrate notable achievements and triumphs over adversity 7 December 2018 Biological Sciences student Lydia Wilkinson is recognised by the University today for her incredible display of strength and positivity in facing what has been a traumatic past couple of years.
- Celebrating 10 years of the Green Impact Awards 6 December 2018 Today the iconic Wills Memorial Building will be lit in green to celebrate the 10-year anniversary of the Green Impact Awards, a University of Bristol-born environmental initiative, which has gone on to have national impact, having been adopted by over 400 UK organisations.
- New £32m global aerospace technology centre announced for Bristol 6 December 2018 A new world-class hub for innovative aerospace technology is to open in Bristol, thanks to a multi-million investment from GKN Aerospace and the UK Government’s Aerospace Technology Institute.
- Research that reduced cot deaths across the world is recognised as one of UK’s best breakthroughs 6 December 2018 A University of Bristol study which showed lives could be saved if babies were placed on their backs - and not their fronts-to sleep, has today been named as one of the UK’s 100 best breakthroughs by Universities UK for its significant impact on people’s lives.
- University of Bristol spin-out Ultrahaptics raises £35 million 5 December 2018 The world leader in mid-air touch technology, Ultrahaptics today announced fundraising £35 million in an oversubscribed Series C round of investment.
- Enhancing our vision of the past 5 December 2018 An international group of scientists led by researchers from the University of Bristol have advanced our understanding of how ancient animals saw the world by combining the study of fossils and genetics.
- Bristol mathematician awarded €1.8 million to research quantum algorithms 5 December 2018 Dr Ashley Montanaro, Reader in Quantum Computation in the University of Bristol's School of Mathematics, has been awarded a European Research Council (ERC) grant for his project ‘Quantum Algorithms from Foundations to Applications’.
- Volcanoes fed by ‘mush’ reservoirs rather than molten magma chambers 5 December 2018 Volcanoes are not fed by molten magma formed in large chambers finds a new study, overturning classic ideas about volcanic eruptions.
- University of Bristol graduate blasts off to the International Space Station 4 December 2018 Bristol alumnus and NASA astronaut Anne McClain has donned astronaut boots and launched in the Soyuz MS-11 spacecraft yesterday [3 December], on her first mission to the International Space Station (ISS).