Apply for a Tier 4 student visa from outside the UK
If you are coming to the UK to study on a Tier 4 student visa for the first time, you must apply for your visa in your home country before you travel.
If you are already studying in the UK, you may be able to apply for your Tier 4 student visa from inside the UK. If you do not meet the conditions for applying from inside the UK, you must apply from outside the UK.
How to apply for your Tier 4 student visa
- Please familiarise yourself with the list of required supporting documents before you start the visa application process
- You can submit your visa application up to 3 months before the start of your course; if you submit your visa application more than 3 months before the start date of your course it will be refused
- You must have received your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number by email before you apply. Please note that each CAS can be used to apply once.
- If you are starting a new course at Bristol, a relevant admissions team will issue your CAS once you have met all the conditions of your offer. If you have already started a course and need another new visa to complete it, you will need to request a new CAS from Student Visa Services
- Have a tuberculosis (TB) test if required. See UKVI tuberculosis tests for visa applicants information for more details
- Follow the UKVI apply for a Tier 4 student visa instructions and fill in the online application form
- If you are coming to the UK for longer than 6 months, you will have to collect a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) on arrival. We recommend that you request for it to be delivered to the Unversity. To find out how to arrange this please visit our Biometric Residence Permit webpage
- Read our Tier 4 visa essential information carefully to ensure that you understand your obligations as a Tier 4 visa holder
UKVI Tier 4 Policy Guidance
Read the UKVI Tier 4 Policy Guidance here.