Submit your dissertation (thesis)

You must submit an electronic copy of your dissertation (thesis) for your exam and another for the Turnitin check.


Submissions will be accepted up to 11:59 pm (UK time) on your final submission date. If your submission date falls on a weekend, a bank holiday, or a university closure day, you can submit by 11.59 pm (UK time) the next working day.

Late submissions will not be examined.

Submit your dissertation

You must submit an electronic copy of your dissertation for your exam and upload another copy for the Turnitin check.

Once you have submitted your dissertation, you cannot make any changes to it.

Exam submission

This copy counts as your formal submission and must be submitted by your deadline.

To submit:

  1. Convert your file to a PDF.
  2. Name the PDF file ‘PGR_submission_[student surname]_[student first name]_[student number]'.
  3. Email the PDF of your dissertation to

If your file is too large to send via email, you can use the Facility for the Upload of Large Files (fluff).

Contact if you have any questions or if your dissertation includes physical material, such as creative works.

Turnitin upload

You must also upload an electronic copy of your dissertation to Turnitin via Blackboard. This is for a pre-exam academic integrity and plagiarism check.

You must notify your School of the upload. The specific email address will be on Blackboard.

Contact your School PGR administrator if you need help with uploading to Turnitin.

Exceptional circumstances

In exceptional circumstances, where there are contractual, security or safety issues, the Turnitin check can be replaced by a manual check. This must be approved by the Associate Pro Vice-Chancellor (PGR).

If there is an exceptional reason, you or your main supervisor can complete a Request for a non-Turnitin submission for examination (Office document, 31kB) and send the completed form to your faculty office.

You must not send a copy of your dissertation to your examiners at any time.

Extensions or suspensions

If you think you need a suspension or an extension, discuss this with your supervisor first.

You can request a suspension and extension form from your School PGR administrator (this will be on Blackboard).

Student visa

If you are studying on a student visa, you must discuss any changes that may affect your visa status with a Student Visa Adviser. If there are unforeseen circumstances near your final submission date, you can request a short emergency extension from the Faculty PGR Director and seek visa advice if needed.

Edit this page