Suspending your studies

If you are suspending your studies

When you have agreed to formally suspend your studies with your School/Faculty you must complete a suspension form, available from your School office. The suspension form must be signed off by a Student Visa Adviser at a drop-in session. This gives you the opportunity to receive immigration advice before you suspend your studies, which is important because changes to your student status will affect your immigration status.

If you suspend your studies, you do not have permission to undertake any work in the UK

Suspensions of more than 60 days

As a Tier 4 sponsor, the University has a duty to report certain changes relating to your studies to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). If you suspend your studies for more than 60 days the University will report this to UKVI. You will then receive notification from UKVI that your visa will be curtailed (cancelled) after 60 days. This means you would need to leave the UK within 60 days of suspending your studies. This change to your status as a student would mean you no longer have the right to work in the UK. You would have to cease all employment (paid or unpaid) with immediate effect. If you were to undertake any work, you would be in breach of UK immigration law, which could have serious legal implications. Your employer could also be prosecuted.

You will also need to apply for a new visa before travelling back to the UK. Your curtailed (cancelled) visa will no longer be valid to enter the UK.

Suspensions of less than 60 days

If you suspend your studies for a period of less than 60 days you will not usually need to leave the UK. Please note that you will not be able to work in the UK during these 60 days as you will not be following your course of study. 

Suspensions due to parental leave

In the case of students sponsored by the University under UKVI Tier 4 visa, suspension as a result of parental leave may require the University to withdraw sponsorship and for the student to return to their home country for the duration of the leave. In such cases, students will thereafter need to apply to the University for a new CAS number to apply for a new visa to resume their studies. All requests for parental leave must be made in good time to permit time for approval of the request and to ensure travel home can be made following the report of the suspension to the UKVI. In all cases, advice should be sought from an International Student Visa Adviser as early as possible (especially in the case of a pregnancy) to ensure compliance with the Tier 4 visa can be maintained.


Returning to study after suspension of more than 60 days

Getting your Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS)

When you have agreed a date to return to study, with your faculty/school, you must email the International Student Visa Advisers to request a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) eligibility form. A form will be emailed to you which you must complete and email back to us.  We will check whether you are eligible for a visa to continue your studies by checking:

  • You do not exceed the UKVI restrictions on how long you can study in the UK. Any time on suspension will count towards your maximum study time unless your visa has been curtailed (cancelled). We recommend you keep travel documentation in case you need to provide evidence you have been outside the UK while on suspension.
  • You can meet the financial requirements for a successful visa application. You will need to show you have £1015 per month of study (to a maximum of 9 months, totalling £9135) plus tuition fees. You must be able to show you have held this money in your bank account for a 28 consecutive days.
  • If you need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate for your subject. 

When we can confirm you are eligible to apply for a visa (following your suspension) we will pass your CAS eligibility form to your faculty to be considered for academic approval. When approved, you will receive your CAS.

We will not be able to issue a CAS until your return to study has received academic approval by your faculty and if appropriate by Faculty Progress Board. If your continued study needs to be approved by Faculty Progress Board you will not receive your new CAS until after the board has met, in early August. Your faculty office will be able to tell you if your continued study needs to be approved by Faculty Progress Board.

Applying for your visa

You should begin preparing your documents for your visa application in advance of receiving your CAS, in particular the financial evidence. Email your documents to us, in advance of applying, and we will check they are correct.

When you have your CAS you can then apply for your new Tier 4 student visa.

Edit this page