Extending your studies
Extending your visa for your current course
You may need to extend your visa to complete your studies.
- Speak to your Faculty/School to find out if it is possible to extend your studies.
- Changes to your student status will affect your immigration status.
- If the Faculty/School are happy for you to continue your studies, you will need to take an extension form and contact us to discuss.
- Our advisers will tell you if you are eligible to extend your visa to stay in the UK to complete your studies.
- The form will confirm you have had immigration advice before extending your studies.
Where to apply
You can only extend your Tier 4 visa within the UK if you are:
- a PhD student;
- repeating a module/year of study or have previously repeated a module/year of study;
- resitting an exam or have previosuly resat an exam;
- upgrading on integrated course, eg from an integrated BEng to MEng, or integrated MPhil to PhD.
When to apply
If you are applying inside the UK, you must do so before your current visa expires. Speak to a Student Visa Adviser to work out the best time to make your application.
Extending your visa for a new course
To be eligible to apply in the UK you must meet the UKVI Academic Progression requirements. Please visit our Academic Progression webpage for further information.