Brexit and EU students

This information is for current and prospective EU students.

The UK left the European Union on 31 January 2020. From 1 February 2020 the UK entered a transition period which will end on 31 December 2020. This information sets out advice for current and prospective EU students following Brexit.

Travelling to and from the EU before 31 December 2020

During the transition period EU/EEA nationals will still be able to travel freely between the UK and the EU. You won’t need to do anything different or provide any additional evidence.

Remaining in the UK after 31 December 2020

If you are an EU national already resident in the UK and want to stay beyond 31 December 2020, we recommend that you apply for the EU Settlement Scheme if you are eligible.  

The deadline for applying for EU settlement is 30 June 2021. The application process is straightforward and free. Depending on how long you have been in the UK you will get either pre-settled status, which allows you to stay for a further 5 years from that date or settled status, which allows you to stay in the UK for as long as you like.

If you wish to apply for EU settlement, please follow the steps below:

1) prepare your supporting documents: if you don't have a National Insurance number and/or haven't been working in the UK for 5 years you will need to obtain a student status letter to prove when you commenced studies (to show that you were living in the UK before Brexit) OR any other documents to show that you were living here if you moved to the UK before you started your studies.

2) prove your identity: download the EU Exit ID Document Check app onto an Android device and use it to prove your identity by scanning your face and passport. If you don’t have a suitable device you can prove your identity by post or go to an identity document scanning location. You can find a list of these locations here.

3) log in and complete the application online: this can be done on any device.

Immigration information for EU students 

If you would like to read further information about the implications of Brexit, please see UKCISA. The implications depend on when you arrived, or will arrive, in the UK. There are also details of how you will be affected in a deal or no deal scenario.

Further information

Edit this page