These pages are for GP teachers. If you are interested in studying medicine at Bristol, please see details of our MB ChB Medicine course.
Foundations of Medicine and Cased Based Learning
September 2017 marks the start of Bristol’s new MB21 curriculum, starting with the Year 1 course. We very much hope that you will want to be a part of this enjoyable and inspiring teaching.
The aim of the course is to provide students with their first experience of clinical practice, to give them an opportunity to meet patients and to reflect on healthcare and the impact of illness on people's lives. The students are very enthusiastic about their time in GP and are usually a real breath of fresh air! We also know that the more undergraduate teaching we do in primary care, the more doctors choose GP as a career.
Students will spend a total of 7 or 8 sessions in General Practice over the year. They will attend on either a Thursday morning or afternoon, every other week for four sessions during Foundations of Medicine (FoM) - a 10 week course that runs from September to November, designed to prepare the student for studying medicine in Bristol) and 3 or 4 times over the rest of the year to tie in with their Case-Based learning (CBL) which runs from December to May.
Useful links for Year 1 GP teachers
- GP Teacher Guide Foundations of Medicine Year 1 2017-18 (PDF, 1,812kB)
- Year 1 Student GP placement handbook 2017-18 (PDF, 1,543kB)
- Year 1 Attendance & Payments form 2017-18 (PDF, 377kB)
- Year 1 Patient consent letter 2017-18 (PDF, 380kB)
- Year 1 workshop reports Workshop reports can be downloaded from this link
- Attendance Concern Form 2017-18 (Office document, 634kB)
- Student Concern Form 2017-18 (Office document, 61kB)
For more images of medical student artwork, visit Out of Our Heads