Student Choice (Formerly Student Selected Components)
These pages are for GP teachers. If you are interested in studying medicine at Bristol, please see details of our MB ChB Medicine course.
Student Choice Placements (previously known as Student Selected Components, or SSCs) are offered in years 2, 3 and 4. For more information on each of the available teaching opportunities please see below.
Year 3 and 4 Placements (2018-19)
Year 3 placements are 4 weeks long and will take place from the 1st-26th July 2019. Year 4 placements are 3 weeks long and will take place from the 8th - 26th July 2019.
Funding is available.
Please take a look at our Information for supervisors 2018-19 (Office document, 1,059kB) for more information, and watch our simple 'how to' video, below.
The list below is not exhaustive but gives some ideas of previous projects offered. Please do get in touch with any ideas or questions.
Year 2 Placements (2018-19)
These placements have already been advertised to students. If you are involved and have any further questions please contact Dr Ciaran Conway
Year 2 Placements (2019-2020)
At a glance:
- Placements will run in September/October 2019 for Year 2 students.
- Placements are 3 weeks long
- There is funding available
- It's a great way to gently introduce yourself to teaching and/or expand your teaching portfolio
- Students are usually really engaged and interested in their choice projects
- Placement supervisors don't have to be in a salaried or partnership role, and can include other healthcare professionals within your team (locums, practice manager, pharmacist, ANP, physician assistant etc) and any other community or third sector contacts you may have
- Students can be really useful for practices, in fact, one of the things they tell us is that they like to be useful!
For more information about how to offer a placement and what it might involve, please take a look at our information for supervisors (Office document, 45kB). Any questions, please email the Primary Care Lead for Student Choice Dr Ciaran Conway
PLEASE NOTE: the proposal deadline has passed for this academic year, but if you are interested in hosting a student please do get in touch and we can try to arrange this.
Frequently Asked Questions
To explore frequently asked questions about student choice placements, click on the arrows in the Prezi Presentation below.
Academic: Dr Juliet Brown
Administrator: PHC teaching administration team