Student Choice (Formerly Student Selected Components)
These pages are for GP teachers. If you are interested in studying medicine at Bristol, please see details of our MB ChB Medicine course.
Student Choice Placements (previously known as Student Selected Components, or SSCs) are offered in years 2, 3 and 4. For more information on each of the available teaching opportunities please see below.
Year 2 Placements (2017-2018)
These placements have already been advertised to students. If you are involved and have any further questions please contact Dr Juliet Brown
Year 2 Placements (2018-2019)
The Centre for Academic Primary Care teaching team are currently recruiting Supervisors for Medical Student Choice Placements for Year 2 of the MB21 curriculum.
At a glance:
- Placements will run in September/October 2018 for Year 2 students.
- Placements are 3 weeks long
- We need placement proposals by August 21st THIS YEAR (2017)
- You can offer a project for 1 or many students
- There is funding available
- It's a great way to gently introduce yourself to teaching and/or expand your teaching portfolio
- Students are usually really engaged and interested in their choice projects
- Placement supervisors don't have to be in a salaried or partnership role, and can include other healthcare professionals within your team (locums, practice manager, pharmacist, ANP, physician assistant etc) and any other community or third sector contacts you may have
- Students can be really useful for practices, in fact, one of the things they tell us is that they like to be useful!
For more information about how to offer a placement and what it might involve, please take a look at our information for supervisors (Office document, 45kB). Any questions, please email the Primary Care Lead for Student Choice Dr Juliet Brown
Year 3 and 4 Placements (2016-17)
These have already been allocated, but if you want to know more about what sort of placement you can offer for next year, take a look at a selection of the primary care SSCs being delivered this July.
Year 3 and 4 Placements (2017-18)
We will be recruiting for supervisors between September and December 2017. Year 3 placements are 4 weeks long and will take place 2nd July - 27th July 2018. Year 4 placements are 3 weeks long and will take place from 9th July – 27th July 2018. Funding will be available.
More information will be available here in September 2017.
Frequently Asked Questions
To explore frequently asked questions about student choice placements, click on the arrows in the Prezi Presentation below.
Academic: Dr Juliet Brown
Administrator: PHC teaching administration team