These pages are for GP teachers. If you are interested in studying medicine at Bristol, please see details of our MB ChB Medicine course.
Community Orientated Medical Practice (COMP 2): Primary Health Care, Dermatology and Medicine for Older People
The course is 9 weeks long and runs 4 times a year, comprising 8 weeks of clinical placements and 5 days central teaching in Bristol. The clinical time is divided into a 4-week GP placement and a 4-week Medicine for Older People placement with Dermatology clinics and tutorials throughout. During this time the students are academy-based. They all attend central teaching in Bristol for two days of the first week and the final three days of week 9.
To develop the students' skills in management of common and chronic problems encountered in primary health care, dermatology and care of the elderly.
COMP 2 explores and provides experience in the following vertical themes:
- Communication Skills
- Whole Person Care
Objectives (specific to Primary Care)
By the end of the unit each student should be able to:
- Describe the role of the GP, other members of the primary health care team and the other systems that provide open access health care in the UK
- Conduct a complete consultation on any of the Core Clinical Problems (PDF, 277kB) listed. Including:
- Consulting effectively with a patient with a disability
- Identifying patients at risk of intimate partner violence and having strategies to help them
- Understanding how the delivery of bad news impacts on patients and carers
- Describe the risks and benefits of commonly prescribed medication used in the treatment of these Core Clinical Problems and understand the rationale behind making treatment decisions
- Help patient reduce their risk of developing chronic disease and use data interpretation e.g. blood pressure measurement and cardiovascular risk to inform management
- Understand the impact of multi-morbidity on the individual and health care services
- Describe methods by which the impact of disability on patients can be minimised
University-based Primary Care teaching
- Lectures, workshops and seminars, including ‘Effective consultation skills’ and a ‘Disability seminar'
- Small group tutorials with supervisor of student selected components.
General Practice-based Primary Care teaching
The majority of GP placements are a single 4-week attachment. Some students have residential placements and these tend to be 2-week placements followed by a second 2-week placement in a different practice. Each attachment offers the student one-to-one tuition which is a unique opportunity during their MBChB course.
Links relevant to Year 4 GP Teaching
- Year 4 COMP2 Handbook 2017-18 (PDF, 928kB)
- Year 4 COMP2 Primary Care lecture notes and study guide 2017-18 (PDF, 2,724kB)
- Year 4 Learning Needs Analysis document (extract from Study Guide pp 131-134) (PDF, 292kB)
- Year 4 GP Teacher Handbook 2017-18 (PDF, 1,033kB)The handbook can be downloaded from this link. This gives lots of useful information about generic teaching issues for GP teachers such as learning needs, analysis, collecting feedback, and seeing patients together.
- Consultation and Procedural Skills (CAPS) The CAPS log book can be downloaded from this link. This log book lists the skills expected by the GMC in a newly qualified doctor.
- Year 4 Mapping document (PDF, 399kB)
- Year 4 Attendance & Payment form 2017-18 (PDF, 394kB)
- Patient Feedback Form (Office document, 43kB)
- Prizes and electives information
- Example 4 week placement timetable (Office document, 48kB)
- Year 4 Practice Feedback Form 2016-17 (Office document, 33kB) Please note this form is for your own use and not to be returned to the Teaching Office.
- Year 4 teacher reflective template (Office document, 56kB) Please note this form is for your own use and not to be returned to the Teaching Office.
- Year 4 Student Record Form (Office document, 36kB) Please note this form is for your own use, eg if a student requests a reference from you, and not to be returned to the Teaching Office.
- Year 4 Consultation Observation Form (long version) (Office document, 21kB)
- Year 4 Concise Consultation Observation Form (based on OSCE marking scheme) (Office document, 14kB)
- Year 4 workshop reports Workshop reports can be downloaded from this link
- Y4 GP Teacher Guide for running student-led surgeries (PDF, 296kB)
- Tutorial Guide Y4 - domestic violence (PDF, 275kB)
- Tutorial Guide Y4 - prescribing (PDF, 301kB)
- Tutorial Guide Y4 - spotting common cancers (PDF, 275kB)
- Tutorial Guide Y4 - substance misuse (PDF, 276kB)
- Attendance Concern Form 2017-18 (Office document, 634kB)
- Student Concern Form 2017-18 (Office document, 61kB)