Living in our residences

Living in our residences provides the best start to student life. Our accommodation is a safe and supportive environment where you can make new friends, experience new things and feel part of our vibrant student community.

Residential Life 

Residential Life offers a support network for students living in University accommodation.

Our University residences are split into three student villages - the North, East and West Residential Villages. Each residential village has a Residential Life team which consists of fully trained support staff. They are there to give you expert help, support and advice 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

The Residential Life team includes Chief and Senior Residents who live in the residences. They provide pastoral support and can help with any concerns or problems of a more personal nature – they are your ‘go to’ people or if you need someone to talk to. The team also works with other support services around the University if needed. Find out how to contact Residential Life if you're a student currently living in University accommodation. 

Keeping you safe

At the University, student safety is our priority. The University has its own Security Services and University Police Officer.

All residences also have a dedicated Accommodation Facilities Team. They ensure that all residences are kept in a good state of repair and well maintained. They also work closely with the University’s Security Services to ensure the security of all residences and to protect the health and safety of all residents.

Community spirit in residences

Our welcoming and vibrant student residences offer a unique student experience and help you settle into university life.

Each residence has a Junior Common Room (JCR) which is a social committee run by students. The JCR organise social and sporting events and represents the interest of students in the residence. Your residence will host a variety of activities to help you connect with other residents, such as Welcome Week socials, theatrical performances, live music and dance events and summer balls.

Find out more about how to get involved in your JCR.

Active residences

There are lots of ways to get involved in sporting activities in your residence.

Intramural sports

The Bristol Students' Union organise a range of intramural sporting fixtures between residences. This is a fun, social, multi-sport programme for students who just want to turn up and play. Sports include football, netball, hockey, badminton, basketball and more. The teams and leagues are established early in the first term, so look out for the sign-up information when you arrive.

B:Active Residences programme

B:Active Residences is a free programme of fitness and social sport activities exclusively for students living in University accommodationYou can attend unlimited sessions every week, across all three Residential Villages.  

To find out more, visit the B:Active Residences page.

Transport and travel

Bus pass for Bristol Unibus U1 service

The Bristol Unibus U1 service is a dedicated and frequent bus service that links the North Residential Village with the University's Cifton campus and Bristol city centre.

A bus pass for the Bristol Unibus U1 service (term time only) is included in the accommodation fees students living in undergraduate and mixed undergraduate-postgraduate University accommodation.

For the route map and bus times, visit the Bristol Unibus website.

Find out how to download the Bristol Unibus U1 pass on the Buses, car parking and transport page

This bus pass is not available to students living in postgraduate-only University accommodation. The Bristol Unibus U1 service does not link to the Langford campus. The bus service to Langford is the Bristol Unibus U2 service, for which information can be found on the Bristol Unibus website.

Student car parking at our residences 

We recommend that you don't bring a car to Bristol unless it is essential, for example because of a disability. If you need to bring a car, you must have successfully applied for a student car parking permit.

Car parking facilities and permits are available in select residences in the North and West Residential Villages. There is no car parking facilities available in the East Residential Village. 

Find out more about how to apply for a permit and the costs, please visit the Buses, car parking and transport page.

Bike storage 

Most residences have a designated area to store bikes. Information about where to store your bike can be found in your Residence Guide. Bikes are not covered by your contents insurance; this requires an additional premium to be paid. Please check your policy and be sure to take out additional coverage should you need it.

How to apply for University accommodation

Find out how to apply for University accommodation.

Edit this page