Do I need a visa for studying?
You do need a visa to enter the UK or to study here if you are a national of a country outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.
You do not need a visa to enter the UK or to study here if you are a national of a country inside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.
What visa do I need?
The type of visa required will depend on the type and length of your course or if you need it to travel while you are in the UK. Use the links below to find out if you are eligible, how to apply and what documents you must provide.
- Standard visitor visa - for short stays in the UK.
- Shengen visa - If you come from outside the EEA and want to travel to Europe from the UK, you may need a Schengen visa. Please read our schengen-visa (PDF, 105kB) for further details. If you have questions which are not answered by this leaflet, contact the embassy for the country you intend to visit.
Keep your visa and passport safe
- Do not leave your visa and passport in your bag, even if you are carrying it.
- Keep your visa and passport on your person whenever possible, either in a pocket next to your body or in a secure money belt.
- Do not leave your visa and passport in your room if you are going out.
- Do not take your visa or passport out of your pocket unless you are officially required to do so.
Fill our visa enquiry form or come to a drop in sessions in our office, Mon-Fri, 2 - 4:30 pm, Students’ Union, on the third floor of the Richmond Building, Queens Road, BS8 1LN.
The University of Bristol is a fully licensed sponsor with the UK Visas and Immigration department under Tier 4 of the UK points-based system.
Find out about visa requirements to work in the UK after you have completed your studies