Tier 4 visa essential information

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) requires the University and the students it sponsors to adhere to the following rules:

Providing current documents for scanning, keeping contact details up to date and abiding by the conditions of your visa:

  1. We will check and keep a copy of your passport, previous UK visas and current UK visa (vignette or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card) as well as your ATAS certificate, if required
  2. If you obtain a new passport or visa, or extend your visa during your time with us, you must provide new copies of these to Student Visa Services. Should you fail to do so, your registration status at the University could be affected
  3. You should keep your own copies of all your documents. Carry these with you when you travel but keep them separate from the originals in case of loss or theft
  4. You must update the University regarding any changes to your UK contact address, telephone number and emergency contact details so that we can maintain accurate records. You can update your own information via the University’s student portalYou should ensure these details are kept up to date at the start of every term
  5. You must report certain changes in circumstances to UKVI
  6. You must abide by the conditions of your visa. These conditions include any working conditions or requirements to register with the police. If we have reason to believe that you have broken the conditions of your visa, we will report this to UKVI as it is one of our duties as a Tier 4 Sponsor. For more information, please see Working in the UK during your studies

For further information, please see UKCISA: Protecting your Tier 4 status

Changes to your course:

  1. We must notify UKVI if you withdraw from your programme, fail to successfully complete your course or if your course ends early
  2. If you suspend your studies, we may need to inform UKVI and you may be required to leave the UK. You will then need to apply for and obtain a new visa overseas prior to returning to the UK to complete your course
  3. We must inform UKVI if you transfer programme as you may be required to obtain a new visa. This may require a trip home to apply for and obtain a new visa
  4. If you successfully complete your course early, or exit with a lower award, we must notify UKVI
  5. Should you leave the UK to study or work abroad as part of your course, should your study location change for any reason or should you undertake a placement as part of your course, we may be required to inform UKVI

For further information, please see Changes to your course

Engagement in and support during your studies:

  1. As part of our duties as a Tier 4 sponsor, we are required to monitor your engagement with your course of study. Should you fail to engage in your course or be absent from studies without permission for an extended period of time, we may be required to inform UKVI
  2. Our aim is to provide you with academic and pastoral support so that you can complete your studies successfully. If you are experiencing any difficulties, you should speak with your supervisor or tutor as soon as possible so that they can help you resolve any issues. If you do not engage with your studies or miss contact points without permission, we may need to inform UKVI
  3. We have a team of trained immigration advisers in Student Visa Services who can help you with any queries regarding your Tier 4 visa

For further information, please see the UKVI government guidance website

Edit this page