Next Step Bristol
The University of Bristol's Next Step Bristol programme is a fantastic opportunity for year 13 students from Black or Asian backgrounds to experience the University through a series of virtual events.
A programme launch, with a student panel for your questions
- Transparent conversations about the lived experience of Black and Asian students at Bristol. Conversations take place during virtual events and with Student Advisors
- Academic taster sessions
- Opportunity to attend an on-campus Visit Day (government COVID-19 guidelines permitting). Receive a travel bursary to support your attendance
- Student-led society events
- Support with your UCAS and student finance applications. Where applicable, support with interviews (for Medicine and Dentistry applicants)
- Information on the support you can receive when you are a student at the University of Bristol
All virtual events will run during after-school hours, and in less busy periods of your school year. Throughout the year there will be approximately 11 hours of contact time. Exact dates and times will be confirmed upon joining the programme.
Guaranteed contextual offer to the University of Bristol
We are committed to attracting the very best students. We hold Next Step Bristol participants in high regard.
Bursaries at Bristol
We have a new programme of scholarships which will support around 130 Black and mixed-Black heritage students over the next four years, totalling more than £1million in bursaries. One part of our new programme to support Black heritage students, is to provide 20 Black Futures Scholarships. A scholarship comprises of a £2,000 bursary, targeted support from the Careers Service and funding to support employability opportunities. To find out more and apply for this bursary, please click here.
Support at Bristol
We are committed to continuing our support for our Black, Asian and Minority Ethinic students at the University of Bristol. Find out more information about Black Men and Women Talk, the work of our Success Advocates and our upcoming events here.
How to apply
All applications are now closed for the Next Step Bristol programme. To be kept informed when applications open for the 2021/22 Next Step Bristol programme, sign up to our newsletter for schools and colleges or our virtual resources for students.
Apply for a course at the University of Bristol via UCAS. You may get a place on the programme before you submit your UCAS application
Be in your final year of A-level study (or equivalent)
Attend a state school/college
- Identify as Black/Asian or of mixed background featuring one of these groups
- Have the academic ability to study at the University of Bristol (including meeting any GCSE entry requirements for your chosen course). Have the potential to meet the contextual entry requirements where eligible
Are from an ethnic group that is under-represented* in the Faculty where the applicant is applying at the University of Bristol (*Asian Pakistani; Asian Bangladeshi; Black Caribbean; Black African; mixed backgrounds featuring one of these groups);
Are part of the first generation in their family to go to university;
Live in an area of low participation in higher education as defined by POLAR4. This is a score of 1 or 2 for the category 'POLAR4 young participation quintile';
Are or have been eligible for free school meals;
Attend an aspiring state school or college;
Have spent three or more months in Local Authority Care; or are an Estranged Student (considering university without the support of a family network);
Are a Young Carer.
If you have any further questions about this programme, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org