Insight into Bristol
Insight into Bristol is a great opportunity for students from a diverse range of backgrounds to experience the University of Bristol through a residential summer school. The week-long residential will include academic sessions, social activities, exploring the city and much more.
In 2020, for the first time, applications will be open nationwide.
Insight into Bristol is a free programme that aims to encourage and support students from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic* background into University. The programme offers the following opportunities:
- A residential summer school at the University of Bristol that will include:
- academic sessions
- access to a range of facilities
- the chance to explore the University.
- Follow-up support sessions during Year 13, including support with UCAS applications.
Applications close on the 3 March 2020 at 11.59pm
Insight into Bristol brochure 2020
Download the Insight into Bristol 2020 programme (PDF, 4,154kB) for more information.
Applying for Insight into Bristol
This year, for the first time, Insight into Bristol is open to national applications. Applications are now open.
As part of Insight into Bristol you can choose one of a number of subject areas in arts; engineering; health and biomedical sciences; sciences; and social sciences. Each subject stream gives you an idea of what it's like to study at the University of Bristol. You will attend lectures, seminars, workshops and labs (depending on your subject) throughout the week and get to choose from 11 choices.
You will have the opportunity to work with academics and current students, who can offer advice and guidance about higher education and your chosen area of study.
For more information on each subject steam, take a look at our Insight into Bristol 2020 programme (PDF, 4,154kB).
Residential Summer School: Sunday 26 July to Friday 31 July 2020, University of Bristol.
The summer school is an essential part of the programme and you will need to complete it in order to qualify for further support in Year 13 and your guaranteed offer or interview (see below).
Guaranteed offer to the University of Bristol
We are committed to attracting the very best students and hold Insight into Bristol graduates in high regard.
Successfully completing Insight into Bristol guarantees you an offer from the University, as long as you meet the entry requirements for your degree course. This includes meeting specified grades and subjects.
You will be eligible for a contextual offer for all undergraduate courses, which is usually two grades lower than the typical offer.
If you need to attend an interview or audition for your degree course, we offer a guaranteed interview or audition instead.
Insight into Bristol is open to students who meet all of the following criteria. You must:
- be in your first year of A-level study (or equivalent);
- attend a state school or college
Find out more about accepted qualifications.
Where a subject stream is oversubscribed, preference will be given to those students who:
- have the academic ability to study at the University of Bristol (including meeting any GCSE entry requirements for their chosen subject stream) and the potential to meet the contextual entry requirements where eligible;
- are from an ethnic group that is under-represented* at the University of Bristol (*Asian Pakistani; Asian Bangladeshi; Black Caribbean; Black African; mixed backgrounds featuring one of these groups);
- are part of the first generation in their family to go to university;
- live in an area of low participation in higher education as defined by POLAR4, which is a score of 1 or 2 for the category 'POLAR4 young participation quintile';
- are or have been eligible for free school meals;
- attend an aspiring state school or college;
- have spent three or more months in Local Authority Care; are an Estranged Student (considering university without the support of a family network);
- are a Young Carer;
- have worked with IntoUniversity in the past.
We are dedicated to ensuring our summer school programmes are inclusive and welcoming to all. We welcome applications from students living with disabilities, learning difficulties and other health and mental health conditions.
Insight into Bristol is free for students to attend. The University of Bristol covers the following costs:
- travel to and from the University;
- meals and accommodation in a hall of residence.
Find out more
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on Insight into Bristol or call 0117 42 83307.