Insight into Bristol
Insight into Bristol is a great opportunity for students from a diverse range of backgrounds to experience the University of Bristol through a residential summer school. The week-long residential will include academic sessions, social activities, exploring the city and much more.
We appreciate that this is a worrying and difficult time and recognise many of you are understandably anxious, given the unprecedented circumstances the world faces with the current coronavirus pandemic.
We are organising a physical summer school programme for 2021 but will continue to monitor the situation and ensure Insight into Bristol adheres to government guidelines and University of Bristol protocol.
Insight into Bristol 2021
Applications for Insight into Bristol in 2021 will open on 7 January 2021.
Activities during the week
We offer a variety of different subject streams which consist of lectures and seminars led by our world-leading academics, in addition to lab-based experiments and trips to local organisations and businesses showcasing the academic links to our city.
However, the week is also about getting to know more about student life outside of your studies and figuring out if the University of Bristol is for you. You will get to try out a variety of sports and society activities, explore the city and speak to current students throughout the programme and see what it’s like first-hand to live in halls of residence.
Monday 26 July to Friday 30 July 2021
The summer school is an essential part of the programme and you will need to complete it in order to qualify for further support in Year 13 and your guaranteed offer or interview (see below).
Guaranteed offer to the University of Bristol
We are committed to attracting the very best students and hold Insight into Bristol graduates in high regard.
Successfully completing Insight into Bristol guarantees you an offer from the University, as long as you meet the entry requirements for your degree course. This includes meeting specified grades and subjects.
You will be eligible for a contextual offer for all undergraduate courses, which is usually two grades lower than the typical offer.
If you need to attend an interview or audition for your degree course, we offer a guaranteed interview or audition instead.
Insight into Bristol is open to students who meet all of the following criteria. You must:
- be in your first year of A-level study (or equivalent)
- attend a state school or college
- identify as Black/Asian or of mixed backgrounds featuring one or more of these groups
- be eligible for home UK fee status
Find out more about accepted qualifications.
These priority criteria will be taken into account when allocating places:
- have the academic ability to study at the University of Bristol (including meeting any GCSE entry requirements for their chosen subject stream) and the potential to meet the contextual entry requirements where eligible
- are from an ethnic group that is under-represented* at the University of Bristol (*Asian Pakistani; Asian Bangladeshi; Black Caribbean; Black African; mixed backgrounds featuring one or more of these groups)
- are part of the first generation in their family to go to university
- live in an area of low participation in higher education as defined by POLAR4, which is a score of 1 or 2 for the category 'POLAR4 young participation quintile'
- are or have been eligible for free school meals OR the post-16 bursary
- attend an aspiring state school or college
- have spent three or more months in Local Authority Care; are an Estranged Student (considering university without the support of a family network)
- are a Young Carer
- have worked with IntoUniversity in the past
We are dedicated to ensuring our summer school programmes are inclusive and welcoming to all. We welcome applications from students living with disabilities, learning difficulties and other health and mental health conditions.
Insight into Bristol is free for students to participate in.
Find out more
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on Insight into Bristol or call 07795 307826.