Insight into Bristol
Insight into Bristol is a great opportunity for students from a diverse range of backgrounds to experience the University of Bristol. The programme includes academic sessions, social events and the chance to meet current Bristol students.
We had hoped to run a two part summer school in 2021, with both a virtual and face-to-face event. However, we have unfortunately reached the conclusion that we cannot offer a face-to-face event which delivers a fantastic student experience while keeping students and staff safe. For this reason, the summer school will be entirely virtual in 2021.
Insight into Bristol 2021 Brochure
Sutton Trust 2021
The University of Bristol also runs a Sutton Trust summer school. Applications for 2021 are now closed, but you can click here to find out more.
Activities during the week
The online summer school offers a variety of different subject streams which consist of lectures and seminars led by our world-leading academics, group work and independent study. You will get to know undergraduate Bristol students who study the subject you are interested in and who will mentor you through the online summer school. Find out the subject streams we offer here.
The week is also about getting to know more about student life outside of your studies and figuring out if the University of Bristol is right for you. There will be lots of opportunities to meet other students on your stream, participate in social events and activities organised by student societies, and receive key information about applying to university.
Dates for Insight into Bristol 2021
The virtual summer school will take place from Monday 19 July to Friday 23 July.
Guaranteed contextual offer to the University of Bristol
We are committed to attracting the very best students and hold Insight into Bristol graduates in high regard.
For most courses, successfully completing Insight into Bristol guarantees you an offer at the contextual offer level, provided that you meet the full entry requirements of the course applied for. Students undertaking the appropriate subjects but not predicted the contextual offer will usually be made an aspirational offer.
If the course holds interviews as part of the selection process you will be guaranteed an interview (for example, Medicine or Dentistry). The interview will only be guaranteed if your predicted grades meet the contextual entry requirements and you meet the GCSE subject requirements.
Insight into Bristol is open to students who meet all of the following criteria. You must:
- be in your first year of A-level study (or equivalent)
- attend a state school or college
- identify as Black/Asian or of mixed backgrounds featuring one or more of these groups, or identify as belonging to another Minority Ethnic group
- be eligible for home UK fee status
Find out more about accepted qualifications.
These priority criteria will be taken into account when allocating places:
- have the academic ability to study at the University of Bristol (including meeting any GCSE entry requirements for their chosen subject stream) and the potential to meet the contextual entry requirements where eligible
- are from an ethnic group that is under-represented* at the University of Bristol (*Asian Pakistani; Asian Bangladeshi; Black Caribbean; Black African; mixed backgrounds featuring one or more of these groups)
- are part of the first generation in their family to go to university
- live in an area of low participation in higher education as defined by POLAR4, which is a score of 1 or 2 for the category 'POLAR4 young participation quintile'
- are or have been eligible for free school meals OR the post-16 bursary
- attend an aspiring state school or college
- have spent three or more months in Local Authority Care; are an Estranged Student (considering university without the support of a family network)
- are a Young Carer
- have worked with IntoUniversity in the past
We are dedicated to ensuring our summer school programmes are inclusive and welcoming to all. We welcome applications from students living with disabilities, learning difficulties and other health and mental health conditions.
Insight into Bristol is free for students to participate in.
Find out more
Email email@example.com for more information on this programme. Applications for the 2022 Insight into Bristol summer school will open in January 2022.