Wills Hall residence guide

Your guide to living in Wills Hall, including instructions specific to your residence and other important information.

What's in the room

  • Bed with mattress
  • Wash hand basin (where applicable)
  • Desk
  • Desk chair
  • Desk lamp
  • Wardrobe
  • Shelves
  • Mirror
  • Curtains/blinds
  • Bedside table.

Ensuite rooms also contain:

  • Shower room
  • Toilet
  • Sink
  • Towel rail.

What's in the communal areas


  • Oven
  • Hob
  • Microwave
  • Fridge-freezer
  • Dining table and chairs
  • Toaster
  • Kettle
  • Cupboard and storage
  • Vacuum cleaner
  • General waste and recycling bins.


  • Shower
  • Toilet
  • Toilet brush and holder
  • Towel rail
  • Mirror
  • Bin.

Find out what you should bring with you and items that are not permitted.

Access to the building

Access to the Old Quad front doors of the houses and bedrooms is with a key.

Access to UVW and XYZ building is with a pin code and a key to access bedrooms which will be given to you on arrival.

Bike storage

There are two bike storages in Wills Hall. One is located next to the student car park in the Old Quad and another is located at the back of the UVW near the tennis courts.

You will need a key to access the bike storages. You can collect a key from the office by the main entrance to Wills Hall. If the key is not returned at the end of the year, you will be charged £35 for a replacement key.

Bicycles must not be brought into the house/flats due to fire regulations. Any bicycle found in the building, including in bedrooms, will be removed. 

Find out more about bike storage in University accommodation.

Bus pass

A bus pass for the Bristol Unibus U1 service (term time only) is included in your accommodation fee.

Find out how to claim your bus pass.

Catering options

Students living in catered or self-catered rooms have the option of purchasing additional food and drink packages. Find out more about the packages available on the kitchens, catering and meals page.

Dining at Wills Hall

The dining hall in Wills Hall is located in the main building. You need to bring your Source dining card with you and scan the card at the till.

Visit the kitchens, catering and meals page to find out more about catered accommodation including:

  • what to do if you lose your Source card
  • how to order a meal in advance
  • how to report dietary requirements and allergies.

Meal times

Monday to Friday (during term time)

Breakfast: 7:30 am to 9:30 am
Evening meal: 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm.

Saturday and Sunday (during term time)

Breakfast: 8:00 am to 11:00 am (continental is 8:00 am to 9:00 am and cooked breakfast is 9:00 am to 11:00 am)
Lunch: Midday to 1:30 pm

A streamlined catering service is provided during the Christmas and Easter vacations, served from either Clifton Hill House or Churchill Hall.

Cleaning, recycling and rubbish

You are responsible for the day to day cleaning of your accommodation. The Student Cleaning Expectations and Guidance document has some helpful information on what cleaning products to use and how, so you know what to do to ensure your accommodation is cleaned well and that you are maintaining a healthy environment.

Subject to staff availability, cleaning is carried out according to the following schedule:

  • Halls and stairways: weekly
  • Kitchens: twice weekly
  • Bathrooms: daily
  • Bedrooms and en suite shower rooms: not serviced, it is your responsibility to keep these spaces clean. Rooms are inspected once per term.

Find out more about your cleaning and recycling responsibilities in University accommodation.

Recycling bins

  • In the garage in the car park behind the Old Quad.
  • At the back of UVW by the laundrette.

Fire safety

Find out more about fire safety in University accommodation.

Fire assembly point at Wills Hall

The assembly point for Wills Hall is the grass area behind Old Quad houses I-M.

Fire alarm testing

Fire alarms will be tested every Wednesday between 9 am and 9:30 am. You do not need to evacuate during a fire alarm test.

If you hear a fire alarm at any other time or if the fire alarm sounds continuously for more than 10 seconds, you must evacuate the building immediately.

First aid

First aid boxes are located at the North Village Student Support Centre.

You should report an accident or near miss to the North Village Student Support Centre so we can take steps to prevent it from happening again.

Find out more about medical care and first aid in University accommodation.


Basic personal belongings are insured as part of your accommodation contract.

Check your policy and arrange additional cover if required.


The internet provider for your residence is Eduroam. Find out how to connect to the Eduroam network.


The launderette can be found in U ground floor, access with pin code at the back of UVW block.

Machines operated by Wash Station. Credit can be obtained by logging into the Wash Station App. Full instructions are shown above the machines.


  • Washing: £2.30
  • Drying: £0.80

If you have any problems with the washing machines, contact Wash Station for free on 0800 141 2331. This number is also on the machines.

You need to bring your own washing powder or tablets.

Drying clothes

You should not dry wet clothes in your room. This causes condensation and mould which can cause health problems, including some potentially serious lung infections.

Lost keys or locked out

If you are locked out, contact the North Village Student Support Centre who will let you back into your room. You will need to provide identification.

Contact number: +44 (0)117 428330 (24 hours a day)

Email: resilife-north@bristol.ac.uk

If you have lost your key you will be charged a replacement fee of up to £35 per key.

If you lose your keys three times, your lock will be considered insecure and will need to be replaced completely. You will be charged up to £200 to cover the cost of replacing the lock.

Lost property

Lost property will be kept in the North Village Student Support Centre, and disposed of within two months if not claimed.


Car parking permit

Parking is limited and you must have successfully applied for a permit. Find out more about car parking permits, how much they are and how to apply.


The University does not permit the use of private e-scooters and they must not be brought into residences or stored in bike storage areas.


Your address and where to collect post

For items that do not require a signature on delivery, such as general letters or magazine subscriptions, use your residence address:

Your name, your room number/flat number, Wills Hall, Parrys Lane, Bristol, BS9 1AE.

You should collect these items from the post room or pigeon holes for your residence. Your mail will be stored alphabetically in either post boxes or on shelving depending on whether it is a letter or a parcel. You will need your UCard or the door code for the post room.

Recorded mail: a signature is required

For items that require a signature on delivery, use the Student Support Centre address:

Your name, North Residential Village Student Support Centre, Hiatt Baker Main Building, Parry’s Lane, Bristol, BS9 1AD.

You will be emailed when an item of recorded mail is received for you. You will need the barcode emailed to you by Quadient to scan and retrieve your mail from the secure post collect point lockers. These can be collected between 2 pm and 10 pm, Monday to Sunday.

You will need your UCard to access the building and to use as identification.

If you have not collected your mail within 14 days, we will attempt to return it, after which items will be treated as lost property or disposed of.

Rent and tenancy dates

The dates of your tenancy and total accommodation fee can be found in your tenancy agreement in the Accommodation Portal.

Guidance for how and when to pay your fees can be found on the 'Pay your fees' page.

Request a repair

Request a repair using the Accommodation Portal.

We aim to respond to your request within a specific time frame, depending on how urgent it is:

  • Emergency, for example the loss of your water supply or a major flood
    • Response within one hour, repair as soon as possible but within 24 hours.
  • Critical, for example loss of heating or cooking facilities
    • Response and repair started within 24 hours.
  • Urgent, for example a minor leak or blocked drain
    • Response and repair started within five working days.
  • Routine, for example repair to non-essential furniture or kitchen equipment
    • A specific date will be agreed for the work, usually within five weeks.

The University's building services team ensures that we comply with our statutory requirements around the safe and efficient use of residences.


If you break or damage something in your residence you need to report it to us.

If you don't tell us, it will be picked up at the end of your tenancy and you may be charged for the repair.

Security and safety

In case of an emergency, call 999 to contact the emergency services, including police and ambulance.

After calling 999, if you are on campus, call Security Services on +44 (0)117 331 1223.

Find out more about health, safety and security in university accommodation.


For non-emergencies, you can call Security Services on +44 (0)117 928 7848.

Social spaces

Wills Hall has the following facilities and social spaces:

Sports facilities

  • Tennis courts (these can be booked online)
  • Squash courts (these can be booked online)
  • Full size snooker table (located in Y block)
  • Table tennis room (located in Y block)
  • Outdoor recreational area
  • Outdoor gym
  • Croquet lawn
The codes to access the tennis and squash courts, and table tennis room, are available from the North Village Student Support Centre. You can also borrow a croquet set from the North Village Student Support Centre. You will need to present your UCard as a deposit.

Communal areas

The Junior Common Room/Bar is open during the day. This has sofas, table football and a pool table. Pool cues are available to borrow from behind the bar during opening hours.
N House is home to the Quiet Lounge which provides a space for socialising and relaxing.
You can book the following rooms to use for meetings and certain events: the Michael Wong Pakshong Lounge, the Quiet Room, study rooms in blocks, X,Y and Z, the Chapel and the Book Room. Please contact the Residential Life Team for further information.

Music room

Next to the Junior Common Room/Bar, is the Old Court Lounge which has a grand piano. There are also pianos in the Dining Hall, in the Chapel, and in the Music practise room (located in N House). Students are welcome to use these facilities and practice in these rooms.
A pipe organ is installed in the Hall Chapel, which is available for music practice, as are a grand piano and a harpsichord, stored in the side chapel.

Study areas

N House has a Book Room which provides a space for quiet study. Students can borrow books from here, as long as they are returned. The Book Room closes each day at 11 pm.
Y Block has a 24 hour study suite which is open to all students living in Wills Hall. Please be considerate to others and leave the desks clear when you have finished in any study rooms so others can use the space.
A Computer Room is available 24 hours a day for all students living in Wills Hall. In this room, there are two computers and a printer. The door code is available from the North Village Student Support Centre.

Hall Chapel

The hall chapel is part of Wills Hall but it is also used by other students living in North Village residences. Services are held during term time, and the chapel is also kept quiet for personal meditation at certain times each week.
Edit this page