Year 3 consists of three units:
- Junior Medicine and Surgery
- MDEMO: Musculoskeletal Diseases, Emergency Medicine and Ophthalmology
- Psychiatry and Ethics
General practice based primary care teaching
Students have four half-day teaching sessions in general practice during Junior Medicine and Surgery and two half-day sessions sessions in MDEMO and Psychiatry and Ethics.
To develop and consolidate students' clinical skills and to foster professional attitudes towards patients and other team members.
In their general practice attachments students should have an opportunity:
- To practice and consolidate clinical skills (consultation skills, history taking, examination and formulation of diagnosis and management plans) through being observed consulting with patients with common clinical problems in a small group setting in general practice.
- To reflect on and appreciate the differences between diagnosis and management strategies in primary and secondary care.
- To evaluate their clinical experience by drawing on the teaching in the vertical themes of whole person medicine, ethics and communication skills.
Note: some of the documents on this page are in PDF format. In order to view a PDF you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader