Year 3 consists of three units:
- Junior Medicine & Surgery
- MDEMO: Musculoskeletal Diseases, Emergency Medicine and Ophthalmology
- Pathology & Ethics
General practice based primary care teaching
Students have four half-day teaching sessions in general practice during Junior Medicine & Surgery and two half-day sessions sessions in MDEMO and Pathology & Ethics.
To develop and consolidate students' clinical skills and to foster professional attitudes towards patients and other team members.
In their general practice attachments students should have an opportunity:
- To practice and consolidate clinical skills (consultation skills, history taking, examination and formulation of diagnosis and management plans) through being observed consulting with patients with common clinical problems in a small group setting in general practice.
- To reflect on and appreciate the differences between diagnosis and management strategies in primary and secondary care.
- To evaluate their clinical experience by drawing on the teaching in the vertical themes of whole person medicine, ethics and communication skills.
Note: some of the documents on this page are in PDF format. In order to view a PDF you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader