Preparing for Professional Practice
Welcome to the Year 5 Primary Care attachment 2015-16. The Primary Care attachment is part of the 12 week course Preparing for Professional Practice (PPP). Students in pairs have a two week attachment to a General Practice.
Aim: To prepare students for working as F1 doctors by learning in the primary care setting.
There is a particular focus within the Primary Care attachment on the following themes:
- Prescribing and Therapeutics
- Advanced Consultation Skills
- Caring for fellow health professionals and becoming a patient yourself
- Complex Patients with Multimorbidities
- Urgent Care
Please ensure that you read the student Year 5 Primary Care supplement 2015-16 (not yet available) thoroughly before the start of the attachment.
Useful links for GP Teachers
- Year 5 Overall handbook 2015-16 (PDF, 1,587kB) The handbook can be downloaded from this link. This explains what students are doing during the rest of the PPP course based at local academy and hospitals.
- Year 5 Primary Care handbook for GPs 2015-16 (PDF, 2,000kB)
- Year 5 Primary Care workbook for students 2015-16 (PDF, 735kB)
- Consultation and Procedural Skills (CAPS) The CAPS log book can be downloaded from this link. This log book lists the skills expected by the GMC in a newly qualified doctor.
- Medicine for the Elderly Introduction (PDF, 384kB) Useful clerking notes when students see complex patients with multimorbidity.
- Year 5 Attendance and Payments form 2015-16 (PDF, 198kB)
- Student Concern Form (Office document, 54kB)
- Attendance Concern Form (Office document, 33kB)
- Mini-CEX marksheet (PDF, 601kB)
- CCA guidance on mini-CEXes (PDF, 307kB)
- Mini-CEX hints and tips (PDF, 304kB)
Primary Health Care makes a contribution to the Finals examination for Bristol medical students. This involves both core members of academic staff and GP teachers from local practices. We are always keen to hear from GP teachers who would like to be involved.