Preparing for Professional Practice
Welcome to the Year 5 Primary Care attachment 2013. The Primary Care attachment is part of the 12 week course Preparing for Professional Practice (PPP). Students in pairs have a two week attachment to a General Practice.
Aim: To prepare students for working as F1 doctors by learning in the primary care setting.
There is a particular focus within the Primary Care attachment on the following themes:
- Prescribing and Therapeutics
- Advanced Consultation Skills
- Communication between Primary and Secondary Care
- Complex Patients with Multimorbidities
- Exploring Unexplained Symptoms.
Please ensure that you read the Year 5 Primary Care Workbook (pdf, 1.3 MB) thoroughly before the start of the attachment.
Useful links for GP Teachers
- Year 5 Handbook (pdf, 704 KB) This explains what students are doing during the rest of the PPP course based at local academy and hospitals.
- Year 4 GP Teachers Handbook (pdf, 695 KB) This gives lots of useful information about generic teaching issues for GP teachers such as learning needs, analysis, collecting feedback, and seeing patients together.
- CAPS Log Book (pdf, 1.1 MB) This log book lists the skills expected by the GMC in a newly qualified doctor.
- Medicine for the Elderly Introduction (pdf, 385 KB)
- Year 5 Attendance and Payment form (Word, 634 KB)
- Student Concern form (Word, 634 KB)
- Year 5 GP Workshop Report Nov 2013 (pdf, 714 KB)
- Social and Community Medicine: Undergraduate student information
Primary Health Care makes a contribution to the Finals examination for Bristol medical students. This involves both core members of academic staff and GP teachers from local practices. We are always keen to hear from GP teachers who would like to be involved.