Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card
Your BRP card is your visa and proof of your right to be in the UK as a student. It is a very important document. You must look after it and keep it in a safe place. You do not need to carry your BRP card with you all the time.
What if I have lost my BRP card?
If you have lost your BRP card inside or outside the UK, please see Lost Biometric Residence Permit card for the list of actions you must take
- If you travel outside the UK you must carry your BRP card and passport
- BRP cards are only issued to those studying in the UK for more than 6 months
- To travel to the UK you need a vignette. Then, once you are in the UK you can collect your BRP card
Vignette (visa sticker)
If you have applied outside the UK for a Tier 4 visa to study for more than 6 months, the UKVI will issue you with a vignette.
A vignette is a sticker in your passport, issued by the UKVI. It is proof of your permission to enter the UK and will allow you to travel to the UK.
The vignette is valid from either:
- 1 month before your course start date (date given on your CAS) or,
- 7 days before the date you state on your application that you intend to travel to the UK
Whichever is later.
How you will receive your BRP card
If you applied for your Tier 4 visa from outside the UK
Collect from the University
If you enter the the code '2HE397' in the 'Alternative location' box on the 'BRP collection' page of your visa application, you can collect your BRP from the University.
- You must come to our office on Ground floor, Senate House from 10am to 4pm to do pre-registration checks before being able to register with the relevant Faculty
- Bring your passport (which should hold your vignette), UKVI visa decision letter and any qualifications that were stated in your CAS email
Collect from a named Post Office
If you do not enter the code '2HE397' on your visa application, collect your BRP from the Post Office stated in your decision letter.
If you applied for your Tier 4 visa from inside the UK
- If you apply for your Tier 4 visa through the University's International Student Visa Advice and Compliance Team, we will contact you when your BRP card and documents are ready to be collected from our office
- If you use your own address in your application, your BRP card will be delivered directly to you