Important information

Your BRP card is your visa and proof of your right to be in the UK as a student. It is a very important document. You must look after it and keep it in a safe place. You do not need to carry your BRP card with you all the time.

If your BRP is being delivered to the University of Bristol you will receive an e-mail from Student Visa Services to your personal email address when your BRP card arrives at the University.

  • To collect your BRP card, please come to the reception in 5 Tyndall Avenue from 9:00 - 12:00.  
  • Please bring your passport and letter from the UKVI with you. We cannot issue your BRP card without your passport. If you have dependants, please ensure you bring passports for your dependants also.
  • You can update your email address here:

If your BRP is being delivered to the Post Office:

  • You should collect your BRP from the Post Office as soon as possible. Please bring your BRP to the Reception desk at the Student Information Point at 5 Tyndall Avenue during opening hours (usually 9am to 4pm, unless listed otherwise on the website) so we can scan it and update your student record. You do not need to attend the Student Visa Services drop-in unless you have other questions about your visa.  There is 14 days time window to correct any errors (if you applied for your visa in the UK) so please bring your BRP for checking as soon as you have it. 

If you have general questions about BRPs please see our website, and read the Tier 4 visa essential information.

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card

What if I have lost my BRP card?

If you have lost your BRP card inside or outside the UK, please see Lost Biometric Residence Permit card for the list of actions you must take

  • If you travel outside the UK you must carry your BRP card and passport
  • BRP cards are only issued to those studying in the UK for more than 6 months
  • To travel to the UK you need a vignette. Then, once you are in the UK you can collect your BRP card

Vignette (visa sticker)

If you have applied outside the UK for a Tier 4 visa to study for more than 6 months, the UKVI will issue you with a vignette.

A vignette is a sticker in your passport, issued by the UKVI. It is proof of your permission to enter the UK and will allow you to travel to the UK.

The vignette is valid from either:

  • 1 month before your course start date (date given on your CAS) or,
  • 7 days before the date you state on your application that you intend to travel to the UK

Whichever is later.

How you will receive your BRP card

If you applied for your Tier 4 visa from outside the UK

Collect from the University

If you enter the code '2HE397' in the 'Alternative location' box on the 'BRP collection' page of your visa application, you can collect your BRP from the University. 'BRP collection' page appears after you pay for your visa application.

  • Your UKVI decision letter should confirm when and where your Biometric Residence Permit will be available for collection
  • During busy periods, e.g. registration, there may be organised BRP collection events taking place in various locations across the University. Please check the pre-arrvial information that will be communicated to you closer to the date. We will also update this page once the details have been finalised 
  • Bring your passport (which should hold your entry vignette) and your UKVI visa decision letter with you when you come to collect your BRP. If you entered the UK using eGates, or your entry vignette has not been stamped by a border officer for whatever reason, you will also need to bring your boarding pass

Collect from a named Post Office

If you do not enter the code '2HE397' on your visa application, collect your BRP from the Post Office stated in your decision letter.

Return your previous BRP to UKVI

If you applied for your most recent visa overseas and you had previous UK leave evidenced by a BRP, it is strongly advised that you return your old BRP to UKVI by post as it is no longer valid. You can bring it to our office and we can post it for you. Alternatively please contact us for postal address. 

If you applied for your Tier 4 visa from inside the UK

Read UKVI BRP general information for applicants inside the UK.

  • If you apply for your Tier 4 visa with the help of Student Visa Services, we will contact you when your BRP card and documents are ready to be collected from our office
  • If you use your own address in your application, your BRP card will be delivered directly to you
  • If you did not submit your previous BRP as part of your visa application, you must return it to UKVI by post. You can bring it to our office and we can send it for you. Alternatively, you can post it yourself using the address provided in your UKVI decision email (also called Application Update). Failure to do so may result in a fine. 
Edit this page