MSc International Business and Strategy: Global ChallengesFind a programme
New programme for 2022
|Faculty||Faculty of Social Sciences and Law|
|Programme length||One year full-time.|
|Location of programme||Clifton campus|
|Part-time study available||No, full-time only|
|Start date||September 2022|
This master’s programme is rooted in two academic domains, International Business and Strategy. It will suit graduates from any discipline who wish to specialise and critically engage in these subjects. Students will learn to unpack world challenges in new ways, creating understanding of the complexities of internationalisation, current strategic thinking and sustainability challenges in business and society.
The programme will equip students with a competitive advantage in the graduate jobs market by giving them the tools to deal with the new ‘mega-forces’ of globalisation driven by technological advancement, climate change, global health crises and geopolitical events.
This MSc draws on cutting edge research by leading academics who will guide students to explore the Global Challenges facing international businesses and society, such as global warming, increasing migration flows, food insecurity, poverty, and greater competition for increasingly scarce resources. Students will gain the contextual, historical, and political perspectives by experts in these areas to enable them to think critically and solve problems practically in the workplace.
This programme will help students to:
- Become experts in strategic management with the ability to respond to global challenges
- Prepare for a career in international and multinational companies, NGOs and SMEs with an international outlook
- Focus on sustainability; specialising in either Marketing, Human Resources Management or Operations Management
Graduates from this programme will benefit from studying at a top 10 UK university (QS 2022), ranked 16th in the UK for Business and Management (Complete University Guide 2021).
Sustainability is a priority for Bristol, which was the first UK city to attain European Green Capital status in 2015. The University of Bristol was the first in the UK to declare a Climate Emergency and has sustainability at the core of its strategy.
Fees for 2022/23
We charge an annual tuition fee. Fees for 2022/23 are as follows:
- UK: full-time
- Overseas: full-time
Following the recent changes to fee assessment regulation, Channel Islands and Isle of Man students will no longer be charged a separate tuition fee. From the 2021/22 academic year they will be charged the same fees as Home students.
Fees are subject to an annual review. For programmes that last longer than one year, please budget for up to a five per cent increase in fees each year. Find out more about tuition fees.
University of Bristol students and graduates can benefit from a ten per cent reduction in tuition fees for postgraduate study. Check your eligibility for an alumni scholarship.
Funding for 2022/23
Further information on funding for prospective UK, EU and international postgraduate students.
You will study five core and one elective unit, each will be awarded 20 credits, as well as the International Business and Strategy Dissertation, awarded 60 credits.
The first three units will introduce students to core theoretical perspectives and critical issues underpinning International Business and Strategy, preparing students for the further specialist taught units as well as the research dissertation.
- International Business Perspectives in a Turbulent World will focus on core concepts from International Business and broader contextual issues in the global economy
- Global Strategy will introduce core concepts from Strategic Management and focus on the specific strategic management challenges for multinationals in a global environment
- Global Challenges will focus on the ‘wicked problems’ facing society that contemporary organisations need to navigate
- Research Skills for International Business and Strategy will provide a thorough understanding of both theoretical and practical aspects of conducting research in International Business and Strategy
- Global Networks will extend knowledge and understanding beyond the fundamentals of International Business and Strategy as well as introducing students to hands-on network analysis techniques
Elective unit, studying the impact of sustainability on a domain of their choosing. Choose one from the below:
- Sustainability and Ethics in Global Supply Chains
- Sustainability and Social Impact in Marketing
- Sustainable Work Futures in the Digital Economy
The final unit comprises the International Business and Strategy Dissertation (60 credits), which allows students to conduct a research project on a topic of their choice
Visit our programme catalogue for full details of the structure and unit content for the programme.
An upper second-class honours degree (or international equivalent).
See international equivalent qualifications on the International Office website.
English language requirements
If English is not your first language, you need to meet this profile level:
Further information about English language requirements and profile levels.
Read the programme admissions statement for important information on entry requirements, the application process and supporting documents required.
Graduates from this programme can pursue an exciting range of career opportunities in international business, strategy, and sustainability.
The programme will teach students to respond to a fast paced and ever-changing business environment, supporting their ambitions to attain strategic positions in business development, strategic management, consultancy, international business development, and sustainability at a senior level.
This programme will give students an understanding of the complexities of international business operations to prepare them for a variety of roles in government, policy design, multinational corporations in all sectors, NGOs and fast growing ‘go global’ businesses that are seeking to rapidly internationalise.
Graduates will have the possibility to continue their studies at PhD level.
Expected application closure date
Discover the expertise and resources on offer at Bristol with our live and on-demand events.
Request more information
Find out more about studying with us or request a prospectus.
Enquiries Team Phone: +44 (0) 117 394 1649 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
School website: School of Management
REF 2014 results
- 20% of research is world-leading (4 star)
- 45% of research is internationally excellent (3 star)
- 30% of research is recognised internationally (2 star)
- 5% of research is recognised nationally (1 star)
Results are from the most recent UK-wide assessment of research quality, conducted by HEFCE. More about REF 2014 results.