MSc Education (Hong Kong)Find a programme
|Faculty||Faculty of Social Sciences and Law|
|Programme length||Two years part-time|
|Part-time study available||Yes, part-time only|
|Start date||September 2020|
MSc Education is offered in either Bristol or Hong Kong* as a partnership between the School of Education, University of Bristol, and the School of Continuing and Professional Education (SCOPE), City University of Hong Kong. The programme is taught by tutors normally based in Bristol, who travel to Hong Kong to deliver units, usually every two months.
This long-standing part-time programme is designed primarily for education practitioners and administrators from diverse educational backgrounds and establishments: schools, colleges, higher education, tutoring and other community-based forms of education. However, anyone interested in education is welcome to apply.
The programme aims to develop reflective students able to apply global perspectives on examples of educational practice. More specifically, the programme aims to develop:
- specific theories, ideas and practices;
- the relationships between perspectives from different disciplines in education, investigating education, including professional practice;
- a range of research methods appropriate for their professional practice;
- the importance of developing clear lines of argument, underpinned by critical thinking, analysis, synthesis and evaluation;
- the skills and abilities required for successful engagement in focused, personally and (where appropriate) professionally relevant independent learning through the production of a supervised dissertation.
The normal period of study for this programme is two years. Students must complete the programme within three years of registration.
*The MSc Education programme is delivered in both Bristol and Hong Kong. However, once registered, students must take units in one location and cannot combine attendance between countries.
Fees for 2020/21
For more details see the City University, Hong Kong website.
Fees are subject to an annual review. For programmes that last longer than one year, please budget for up to a five per cent increase in fees each year. Find out more about tuition fees.
University of Bristol students and graduates can benefit from a ten per cent reduction in tuition fees for postgraduate study. Check your eligibility for an alumni scholarship.
Funding for 2020/21
Further information on funding for prospective UK, EU and international postgraduate students.
Visit our programme catalogue for full details of the structure and unit content for our MSc Education (Hong Kong).
A good UK undergraduate honours degree (or international equivalent) and appropriate professional experience, which may include voluntary work or internships, as well as paid employment.
See international equivalent qualifications on the International Office website.
English language requirements
If English is not your first language, you need to meet this profile level:
Further information about English language requirements and profile levels.
Read the programme admissions statement for important information on entry requirements, the application process and supporting documents required.
We offer academic and personal development opportunities to equip you for the intellectual, social and personal challenges you will encounter during your career.
Our overarching goal is to enable our education graduates to display the following characteristics:
- equipped to demonstrate impact, excellence and distinctiveness in your chosen field;
- visionary, imaginative, innovative, reflective and creative;
- high ideals and values, including a strong sense of social justice;
- highly employable throughout the world;
- adaptable, with the potential to be a leader in work and in the community.
Read more about the professional journeys of some of our graduates.
1 October 2020. Early application recommended; places may fill before our deadline. Applications received after the deadline will be considered and may be placed on a waiting list.
Find out more about becoming a student at Bristol, applying for a visa and the support we offer to international students.
Register your interest
Want an insight into life as a student in Bristol? Want to be the first to know about events, scholarships and more?
REF 2014 results
- 44% of research is world-leading (4*)
- 36% of research is internationally excellent (3*)
- 19% of research is recognised internationally (2*)
- 1% of research is recognised nationally (1*)
Results are from the most recent UK-wide assessment of research quality, conducted by HEFCE. More about REF 2014 results.
Open days and visits
Find out about opportunities to visit Bristol.