The Student Health Service is here to help support you, no matter what your gender or sexuality. We know that many young people who are questioning their gender or sexuality may struggle with their mental health at times, so we have put together a list of useful resources for you here. 

If you are transgender, please let us know your preferred pronouns which we can register on your notes. Even if you have not legally changed your name, we can add your preferred name to your records and can add "Mx" instead of Mr or Miss/Mrs. We can also refer you to the NHS specialised gender identity service. As you may be aware, waiting times for this service are unfortunately very long nationwide. If, in the meantime, you decide to see a specialist privately, please be aware that we (at the time of writing) unfortunately cannot usually take over the prescribing of any such medication for you, although we hope this will be possible in the future. We will discuss each case individually, but we do not currently have any secondary care specialists in Bristol able to support us to do safe prescribing. We will however of course continue to support you in any other way possible and we can usually do any blood tests required by your specialist if they are happy to be sent the results and act on them. Please make an appointment to speak to a GP if you have any questions about this.

Students' Union LGBT+ society  offer a support group to students who identify as LGBTQ+

MindLine Trans+ helpline : a safe place to talk about your feelings confidentially. Tel: 0300 330 5468.

Freedom is run by the charity Off-The-Record and offers support, information and activities as well as the opportunity for you to get involved in activism, mentoring others or campaigning

The Genderbread Person  to help you better understand the various terms used, or to help you explain them to someone else!

For more websites, charities, videos and helplines , take a look at the self-help pages on gender and sexuality


Edit this page