Publications and blogs
Journal publications (since 2016)
- Emanuel G, Verne J, Forbes K, Hounsome L and Henson KE. End of life care for cancer patients identified using 3 community prescribing data: a population-based 4 study. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care. (In press)
- Selman LE, Chamberlain C, Sowden R, Chao D, Selman D, Taubert M and Braude P. Sadness, despair and anger when a patient dies alone from COVID-19: A thematic content analysis of Twitter data from bereaved family members and friends. Palliative Medicine. 24 May 2021, Palliative Medicine.
- Selman LE, Sowden R and Borgstrom. ‘Saying goodbye’ during the COVID-19 pandemic: A document analysis of online newspapers with implications for endo of life care. 23 May 2021, Palliative Medicine.
Pocock L, Morris R, French L and Purdy S. Underutilisation of EPaCCS (Electronic Palliative Care Coordination Systems) in end-of life-care: a cross-sectional study. 09 April 2021, BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care.
Sowden R, Borgstrom E and Selman LE. ‘It’s like being in a war with an invisible enemy’: A document analysis of bereavement due to COVID-19 in UK newspapers. 04 March 2021,
- Wakefield D, Dewhurst F, Koffman J and Chamberlain C. Palliative Medicine Specialist Trainee Research experience, interest and opportunities: a national survey. 08 February 2021, BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care.
- Goodwin L, Proctor A, Kirby K, Black S, Pocock L, Richardson, S, Stonehouse, J, Taylor, H, Voss S and Benger J. Staff stakeholder views on the role of UK paramedics in advance care planning for patients in their last year of life. 24 January 2021, Progress in Palliative Care.
Chalk D, Robbins S, Kandasamy R, Rush K, Aggarwal A, Sullivan R and Chamberlain, C., Modelling Palliative and End of Life resource requirements during COVID-19: implications for quality care, Pre-print medRxiv.
- Sowerbutts AM, Lal S, Sremanakova J, Clamp AR, Jayson GC, Teubner A, Hardy L, Tod, C, Raftery, A-M, Sutton, E, and Burden, S. Dealing with loss: Food and eating in women with ovarian cancer on parenteral nutrition. Journal of Human Nutrition & Dietetics. 3(4) pp. 550-556.
- Sowerbutts AM, Lal S, Sremanakova J, Clamp AR, Jayson GC, Teubner A, Hardy L, Tod, C, Raftery, A-M, Sutton E, and Burden, S. Discharging women with Advanced Ovarian Cancer on Home Parenteral Nutrition: Making and Implementing the decision. Nutrients. 12(1) 166.
- Schofield G, Dittborn M, Huxtable R, Brangan E and Selman LE. Real-world ethics in palliative care: A systematic review of the ethical challenges reported by specialist palliative care practitioners in their clinical practice. 11 December 2020, Palliative Medicine.
- Tanaka M, Kodama S, Lee I, Huxtable R, and Y. Chung. Forgoing life-sustaining treatment – a comparative analysis of regulations in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and England. BMC Medical Ethics. 2020; 21(99).
- Rodin G, Zimmermann C, Rodin D, Al-Awamer A, Sullivan R and Chamberlain C. COVID-19, palliative care and public health. European Journal of Cancer. 2020;136:95-8
- Harrop E, Mann M, Semedo L, Chao D, Selman LE and Byrne A. What elements of a systems approach to bereavement are most effective in times of mass bereavement? A narrative systematic review with lessons for COVID-19. 31 July 2020, Palliative Medicine.
- Johnson HJ, Brighton LJ, Clark J, Roberts H, Pocock L, Ogden M, Kumar R, Gardiner C, Higginson IJ, and Evans CJ (2020). Experiences, concerns, and priorities for palliative care research during the COVID-19 pandemic: A rapid virtual stakeholder consultation with people affected by serious illness in England. 26 June 2020, Cicely Saunders Institute, King’s College London.
- Coulman KD, Nicholson A, Shaw A, Daykin A, Selman LE Macefield F, Shorter GW, Cramer H, Snydes MR, Gamble C, Pick ME, Taylor G and Lane JA. Understanding and optimising patient and public involvement in trial oversight: an ethnographic study of eight clinical trials, 18 June 2020, Trials.
- Koffman J, Gross J, Etkind SN and Selman L. Editorial: Clinical uncertainty and Covid-19: Embrace the questions and find solutions, 10 June 2020, Palliative Medicine.
- Koffman J, Gross J, Etkind SN and Selman L. Uncertainty and COVID-19: How are we to respond? 10 June 2020, Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine.
- Spicer J, Chamberlain C and Papa S. Provision of cancer care during the COVID-19 pandemic. Nature Reviews Clinical Oncology. 2020;17(6):329-31
- Selman L, Chao D, Sowden R, Marshall, S, Chamberlain, C and Koffman J. Bereavement support on the frontline of COVID-19: Recommendations for hospital clinicians, 28 April 2020, Journal of Pain and Symptom Management.
- Pocock L, MacKichan F, Deibel F, Mills A and Wye L. Stories from the fourth age: Autonomy and the lives of older care home residents. 27 April 2020, Ageing and Society.
- Pocock L, French L, Farr M, Morris R and Purdy S. Impact of electronic palliative care coordination systems (EPaCCS) on care at the end of life across multiple care sectors, in one clinical commissioning group area, in England: a realist evaluation protocol. 31 March 2020, BMJ Open.
- Yi D, Johnston, BM, Ryan K, Daveson, BA, Meier DE, Smith M, McQuillian R, Selman L, Pantilat SZ, Normand C, Morrison RS and Higginson IJ. Drivers of care costs and quality in the last three months of life among older people receiving palliative care: a multi-national mortality follow-back survey across England, Ireland and the USA, 03 February 2020, Palliative Medicine.
- Sinclair S, Jaggi P, Hack TF, Russell L, McClement SE, Cuthbertson L, Selman L and Leget C. Initial validation of a patient-reported measure of compassion: Determining the content validity and clinical sensibility among patients living with a life-limiting and incurable illness, 22 January 2020, Patient.
- Schofield G, Baker I, Bullock R, , Clare H, Clark P, Willis D, et al. Palliative opioid use, palliative sedation and euthanasia: reaffirming the distinction. Journal of Medical Ethics 2020;46:48-50.
- Schofield G, Brangan E, Dittborn M, Huxtable R and Selman L. Real-world Ethics in Palliative Care: Protocol for a Systematic Review of the Ethical Challenges Reported by Specialist Palliative Care Practitioners in their Clinical Practice, 02 May 2019, BMJ Open.
- Sowerbutts, A. M., Lal, S., Sremanakova, J., Clamp, A. R., Jayson, G. C., Teubner, A., Hardy, L., Todd, C., Raftery, A. M., Sutton, E., Morgan, R. D., Vickers, A. J. and Burden, S. (2019). Palliative home parenteral nutrition in patients with ovarian cancer and malignant bowel obstruction: Experiences of women and family caregivers. BMC Palliative Care. 18(1). pp 1-10.
- Ridd M, Edwards L, Santer M, Chalmers JR, Waddell L, Marriage D, Muller I, Roberts K, Garfield K, Coast J, Selman L, Clement C, Shaw ARG, Angier E, Blair PS, Turner NL, Taylor J, Kai J and Boyle RJ. TEST (Trial of Eczema allergy Screening Tests): protocol for feasibility randomised controlled trial of allergy tests in children with eczema, including economic scoping and nested qualitative study, 09 May 2019, BMJ Open.
- Hole B and Selman L, Illness as transformative experience: Implications of philosophy for advance care planning. 01 March 2019, Journal of Pain and Symptom Management.
- Clement C, Selman L, Kehoe PG, Howden B, Lane JA and Horwood J. Challenges to and Facilitators of Recruitment to an Alzheimer's Disease Clinical Trial: A Qualitative Interview Study, 18 Jun 2019, Journal of Alzheimer's Disease.
- Selman L, Bristowe K, Higginson IJ and Murtagh F. The views and experiences of older people with conservatively managed renal failure: a qualitative study of communication, information and decision-making, 24 January 2019, BMC Nephrology.
- Pocock LV, Wye, L., French, LR and Purdy, S. Barriers to GPs identifying patients at the end-of-life and discussions about their care: a qualitative study, 14 January 2019, Family practice
- Chamberlain C, Owen-Smith A, MacKichan F, Donovan JL and Hollingworth W. "What's fair to an individual is not always fair to a population": A qualitative study of patients and their health professionals using the Cancer Drugs Fund. Health Policy, 123(8), pp.706-712.
- Bristowe, K., Selman L., Higginson, I. J. and Murtagh, F. Invisible and intangible illness: a qualitative interview study of patients’ experiences and understandings of conservatively managed end-stage kidney disease, 02 January 2019, Annals of Palliative Medicine.
- Chamberlain C and Blazeby JM. A good surgical death. British Journal of Surgery, 106(11), pp. 1427–1428
- Chamberlain C and Sullivan R. Weighing false hope in population anticancer drug decision making. Annals of Oncology. 30(1):10-11.
- Brims, FJH, Gunatilake, S, Lawrie, I, Marshall, L, Fogg, C, Qi, C, Creech, L, Holtom, N, Killick, S, Yung, B, Cooper, D, Stadon, L, Cook, P, Fuller, E, Walther, J, Plunkett, C, Bates, A, Mackinlay, C, Tandon, A, Maskell, N, Forbes, K, Rahman, NM, Gerry, S, Chauhan, A, on behalf of the RESPECT-Meso investigators. A randomised controlled trial of regular early specialist palliative care on quality of life in malignant pleural mesothelioma – ‘RESPECT-Meso’. 11 December 2018. Thorax.
- Sowerbutts AM, Lal S, Clamp A, Todd C, Jayson G, Berman R, Teubner A, Raftery AM, Sutton EJ, Sremanakova J, Burden S. (2018) Parenteral nutrition for people with inoperable malignant bowel obstruction. 10 August 2018: (review) Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.
- Huxtable R, Clinic, Courtroom or (Specialist) Committee: In the Best Interests of the Critically Ill Child? Journal of Medical Ethics 2018; 44; 471-475
- Brighton, L., Selman, L., Bristowe, K., Edwards, B., Koffman, J. & Evans, C. Emotional labour in palliative and end-of-life care communication: a qualitative study with generalist palliative care providers, 17 Oct 2018, Patient Education and Counseling.
- McDermott, E. & Selman, L. E.Cultural Factors Influencing Advance Care Planning in Progressive, Incurable Disease: A Systematic Review With Narrative Synthesis October 2018, Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 56, 4, p.613-636
- Wakefield, D., Bayly, J., Selman, L., Firth, A. M., Higginson, I. & Murtagh, F. Patient empowerment, what does it mean for adults in the advanced stages of a life-limiting illness: A systematic review using critical interpretive synthesis, 1 Sep 2018, Palliative Medicine. 32, 8, p.1288-1304
- Kupeli N, Candy B, Tamura-Rose G, Schofield G, Webber N, Hicks SE, Floyd T, Vivat B, Sampson EL, Stone P, Aspden T. Tools Measuring Quality of Death, Dying, and Care, Completed after Death: Systematic Review of Psychometric Properties. Patient. 2018 Aug 24. doi: 10.1007/s40271-018-0328-2
- Orlowska, D., Selman, L., Beynon, T., Radcliffe, E., Whittaker, S., Childs, F. & Harding, R. ‘It's a traumatic illness, traumatic to witness’: a qualitative study of the experiences of bereaved family caregivers of patients with cutaneous T‐cell lymphoma, 19 Jun 2018, British Journal of Dermatology.
- Lowther, K., Harding, R., Simms, V., Gikaara, N., Ahmed, A., Ali, Z., Kariuki, H., Sherr, L., Higginson, I. J. & Selman, L. Effect of participation in a randomised controlled trial of an integrated palliative care intervention on HIV-associated stigma, 17 Apr 2018, AIDS Care.
- Lowther, K., Harding, R., Simms, V., Ahmed, A., Ali, Z., Gikaara, N., Sherr, L., Kariuki, H., Higginson, I. & Selman, L.Active ingredients of a person-centred intervention for people on HIV treatment: Analysis of mixed methods trial data, 10 Jan 2018, BMC Infectious Diseases. 18, 27. doi.org/10.1186/s12879-017-2900-0
- Hudson, B., Round, J., Georgeson, B., Pring, A., Forbes, K., McCune, C. A. & Verne, J., Cirrhosis with ascites in the last year of life: a nationwide analysis of factors shaping costs, health-care use, and place of death in England. Feb 2018, Lancet Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2018; 3(2):95-103
- Hudson, B., Hunt, V., Waylen, A., McCune, C. A., Verne, J. & Forbes, K. The incompatibility of healthcare services and end-of-life needs in advanced liver disease: A qualitative interview study of patients and bereaved carers. 2 Feb 2018, In : Palliative Medicine.
- Selman, L., Brighton, L., Sinclair, S., Karvinen, I., Egan, R., Speck, P., Powell, R., Deskur-Smielecka, E., Glajchen, M., Adler, S., Puchalski, C., Hunter, J., Gikaara, N. & Hope, J. Patients’ and caregivers’ needs, experiences, preferences and research priorities in spiritual care: A focus group study across nine countries, Jan 2018, In : Journal of Palliative Medicine. 32, 1, p.216-230
- Pocock, L., Forbes, K., Reid, C., Purdy, S. Now Gosport: what next?, 16 July 2018, In : British Journal of General Practice. 68 (675): 460-461. doi.org/10.3399/bjgp18X698393
- Lewison G, Aggarwal A, Roe P, Moller H, Chamberlain C, Sullivan R. UK newspaper reporting of the NHS cancer drugs fund, 2010 to 2015: a retrospective media analysis. J R Soc Med. 2018;111(10):366-73
- Huxtable R, Cryonics in the Courtroom: Which Interests? Whose Interests? Medical Law Review 2017
- Birchley, GR, Gooberman-Hill, Z. Deans, J. Fraser, Huxtable R, ‘Best Interests’ in Paediatric Intensive Care: An Empirical Ethics Study Archives of Disease in Childhood 2017
- Huxtable R and Birchley G, Seeking Certainty? Judicial Approaches to the (Non-) Treatment of Minimally Conscious Patients Medical Law Review 2017
- Pocock, L.V., Sharp DJ. Acute hospital admission of the frail older person: an opportunity to discuss future care, 24 April 2017, Age and ageing. 46 (6): 878–879,
- Brighton, L., Koffman, J., Robinson, V., Khan, S., George, R., Burman, R. & Selman, L.‘End of life could be on any ward really’: A qualitative study of hospital volunteers’ end-of-life care training needs and learning preferences, 1 Oct 2017, Palliative Medicine. 31, 9, p.842-852
- Brighton, L., Koffman, J., Hawkins, A., McDonald, C., O'Brien, S., Robinson, V., Khan, S., George, R., Higginson, I. J. & Selman, L. A Systematic Review of End-of-Life Care Communication Skills Training for Generalist Palliative Care Providers: Research Quality and Reporting Guidance, 1 Sep 2017, Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 54, 3, p.417-425
- Selman, L., Brighton, L., Hawkins, A., McDonald, C., O'Brien, S., Robinson, V., Khan, S., George, R., Ramsenthaler, C., Higginson, I. & Koffman, J. The Effect of Communication Skills Training for Generalist Palliative Care Providers on Patient-Reported Outcomes and Clinician Behaviors: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis, Sep 2017, Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 54, 3, p.404-416.e5
- Donesky, D. A., Selman, L., McDermott, K., Citron, T. & Howie-Esquivel, J. Evaluation of the feasibility of a home-based TeleYoga intervention in participants with both chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and heart failure, 27 Jun 2017, Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine.
- Selman, L. E., Brighton, L. J., Robinson, V., George, R., Khan, S. A., Burman, R. & Koffman, J.,Primary care physicians’ educational needs and learning preferences in end of life care: A focus group study in the UK, 9 Mar 2017, BMC Palliative Care. 16, 17.
- Selman, L., Daveson, B., Smith, M., Johnston, B., Ryan, K., Morrison, R. S., Pannell, C., McQuillan, R., de Wolf-Linder, S., Pantilat, S. Z., Klass, L., Meier, D. E., Normand, C. & Higginson, I. J. How empowering is hospital care for older people with advanced disease? Barriers and facilitators from a cross-national ethnography in England, Ireland and the USA, Mar 2017, Age and Ageing. 46, 2, p.300-309
- Etkind, S., Bristowe, K., Bailey, K., Selman, L. E.& Murtagh, F. How does uncertainty shape patient experience in advanced illness? A secondary analysis of qualitative data, Feb 2017, Journal of Palliative Medicine. 31, 2, p.171-180
- Aggarwal A, Fojo T, Chamberlain C, Davis C, Sullivan R. Do patient access schemes for high-cost cancer drugs deliver value to society? Lessons from the NHS Cancer Drugs Fund. Ann Oncol. 2017;28(8):1738-50.
- Hudson, B. E., Ameneshoa, K., Gopfert, A., Goddard, R., Forbes, K., Verne, J., Collins, P., Gordon, F., Portal, A. J., Reid, C. & McCune, C. A., Integration of palliative and supportive care in the management of advanced liver disease: development and evaluation of a prognostic screening tool and supportive care intervention. Jan 2017, Frontline Gastroenterology. 2017;8 (1):45-52.
- Abbott, D. W. F., Prescott, H., Forbes, K., Fraser, J. & Majumdar, A. Men with Duchenne muscular dystrophy and end of life planning. Neuromuscular Disorders 2017;27(1):38 - 44
- Hole, B., Salem J.How long do patients with chronic disease expect to live? A systematic review of the literature. BMJ Open 2016;6:e012248.doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2016-012248
- Hole, B., Tonkin-Crine S, Caskey FJ, Roderick P. Treatment of End-stage kidney failure without renal replacement therapy. August 2016, Seminars in Dialysis. 29(6);491-506. doi.org/10.1111/sdi.12535
- Pocock, L.V., Ives, A., Pring, A., Verne, J., Purdy, S. Factors associated with hospital deaths in the oldest old: a cross-sectional study. March 2016, Age and ageing. 45(3):372-6.
- Erez, G., Selman, L. E. & Murtagh, F.E.M., Measuring health-related quality of life in patients with conservatively managed stage 5 chronic kidney disease: Limitations of the Medical Outcomes Study Short Form 36 (SF-36), Nov 2016, In : Quality of Life Research. 25, 11, p.2799–2809
- Goodhead, A., Speck, P. & Selman, L. E.‘I think you just learnt as you went along’ – community clergy’s experiences of and attitudes towards caring for dying people: A pilot study, Jul 2016, Journal of Palliative Medicine. 30, 7, p.674-683
- Lowther, K. M., Harding-Swale, R., Ahmed, A., Gikaara, N., Ali, Z., Kariuki, H., Sherr, L., Simms, V. & Selman, L. E.Conducting experimental research in marginalised populations: clinical and methodological implications from a mixed-methods randomized controlled trial in Kenya, Mar 2016, In : AIDS Care. 28, 1, p.60-63
- Jones K, Birchley G, Huxtable R., Clare L, Walter T and Dixon J. End of life care: A scoping review of experiences of Advance Care Planning for people with dementia Dementia 2016 doi: 10.1177/1471301216676121
- Birchley G., Jones K, Huxtable R., Dixon J., Kitzinger J. and Clare L. Dying well with reduced agency: A scoping review and thematic synthesis of the decision-making process in dementia, traumatic brain injury and frailty.BMC Medical Ethics 2016; 17: 46 DOI: 10.1186/s12910-016-0129-x
- Huxtable R., From Twilight to Breaking Dawn? Best Interests, Autonomy, and Minimally Conscious Patients M v N  EWCOP 76 (Fam) Medical Law Review 2016 doi: 10.1093/medlaw/fww008
- Beattie J.M. and Huxtable R., Implantable cardioverter defibrillator deactivation: A precautionary approach to therapeutic equipoise? Curr Opin Support Palliat Care 2016
- Huxtable R., Principle or Process at the End of Life? AJOB Neuroscience 2016; 7(1): 69-71 DOI: 10.1080/21507740.2016.1150910
Book chapters and blogs
- Willis D, George R, Schofield G, Proffit A, Jones J. Advance care plans – back to the future? BMJ Opinion. June 2020. https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2020/07/06/advance-care-plans-back-to-the-future/
- Selman L. How coronavirus has transformed the grieving process. The Conversation, April 2020
- Huxtable R. On Killing and Letting Die, Acts and Omissions: For and Against the Distinctions. In N. Emmerich, P. Mallia, B. Gordijn, F. Pistoia, eds., Contemporary European Perspectives on the Ethics of End of Life Care (Springer, 2020), pp. 229-241.
- Schofield G. “Palliative Medicine” in Sugand et al, eds., Oxford Handbook for Medical School. (2019, OUP), ch. 27.
- Pocock L. Why GPs and patients need to talk more openly about death. The Conversation, May 2019
- Schofield G. What is Global Palliative Care When it’s at Home (or in Someone’s Home?) BMJ Medical Humanities, Jan 2018
- Huxtable R., “Putting the Black Dog to Sleep? Depression and Assisted Dying” In J. Herring and C. Foster, Dementia: Ethical and Legal Issues (2017, Oxford: OUP), pp. 280-293
- Selman L.How do we support GPs providing end of life care? CAPC, Mar 2017
- Selman L.How do we teach clinicians to talk about the end of life? CAPC, Sept 2017
- Selman L.New research in spiritual care. ehospice, Oct 2017
- Huxtable R., “Judgment 1: R (on the Application of Nicklinson and Another) v Ministry of Justice  UKSC 38”In S.W. Smith et al, eds., Ethical Judgments: Re-Writing Medical Law (2016, Oxford: Hart), pp. 202-207
- Huxtable R., “Judgment 2: Re A (Conjoined Twins: Surgical Separation)  Fam 147”In S.W. Smith et al, eds., Ethical Judgments: Re-Writing Medical Law (2016, Oxford: Hart), pp. 18-23