Music study guide 2023/24
Music at Bristol
Our BA Music is a well-established and highly regarded programme. Our graduates go on to work in the music profession, the creative industries and a host of other careers.
The department offers many classes that are based in a single semester, and can therefore accept unit requests from Study Abroad students who want to join Bristol for just the autumn or spring semester.
The department offers units across all undergraduate levels of study: year 1 (level C/4), year 2 (level I/5), and year 3 (level H/6) units. Postgraduate units are not available.
Unit codes in the Department of Music begin with 'MUSI'. This is followed by a number indicating the year (1, 2, 3). For example:
- MUSI10000 = year 1 unit
- MUSI20000 = year 2 unit
- MUSI30000 = year 3 unit.
For more information about each unit, check the University's unit catalogue for 2023/24. Applicants on all study abroad programmes must review the unit details on the catalogue before listing unit choices on their application form. This includes checking the format of assessment for each unit. The unit catalogue for 2023/24 is updated by April 2023.
Your unit choices cannot be guaranteed. Some units may not have capacity to accommodate all of the unit requests we receive. Registration on a unit also depends on whether you meet the pre-requisite conditions through prior study at your home university.
Units available on the study abroad programme in 2023/24
The following units from the Department of Music are open to inbound Study Abroad students.
Year 1 (level C/4)
- Music and Society 1 (TB1) - MUSI10061
- Music and Society 2 (TB2) - MUSI10060
- Composition (TB4) - MUSI10059
- Practical Studies: Criticism (TB4) - MUSI10062
- Practical Studies: Performance (TB4) – MUSI10058 - please note that performance-based units are only available to Music majors. The Department is unable to consider requests from those majoring in other subjects.
- Technical Studies I: Harmony and Harmonic Analysis (TB4) - MUSI10047
Year 2 (level I/5)
- Approaches to Music History I (TB1) - MUSI20142
- Further Technical Studies (TB1) - MUSI20099
- Hip-Hop Music and Culture (TB1) - MUSI20071
- Music and Sex (TB1) - MUSI20111
- Writing for Orchestra (TB1) - MUSI20141
- 20th-Century Opera (TB2) - MUSI20130
- Approaches to Music History II (TB2) - MUSI20143
- Composers as Film Figures (TB2) - MUSI20139
- Composing Live Electronics (TB2) - MUSI20126
- Compositional Strategy (TB2) - MUSI20047
- Introduction to Composing for Screen Media (TB2) - MUSI20131
- Music Recording and Production (TB2) - MUSI20124
- The Romantic Imagination (TB2) - MUSI20121
- Transcription and Editing (TB2) - MUSI20056
- Performance (TB4) - MUSI20058 - please note that performance-based units are only available to Music majors. The Department is unable to consider requests from those majoring in other subjects.
- Aesthetics and Criticism (TB1) - MUSI30029
- Composition Project (TB1) - MUSI30064
- Hip-Hop Music and Culture (TB1) - MUSI30107
- Music and Sex (TB1) - MUSI30120
- 20th-Century Opera (TB2) - MUSI30147
- Advanced Technical Studies (TB2) - MUSI30113
- Composers as Film Figures (TB2) - MUSI30083
- Composing Live Electronics (TB2) - MUSI30141
- Music Recording and Production (TB2) - MUSI30132
- Studio Project (TB2) - MUSI30065
- The Romantic Imagination (TB2) - MUSI30130
- Performance (TB4) - MUSI30066 - please note that performance-based units are only available to Music majors. The Department is unable to consider requests from those majoring in other subjects.
Year 4 (level M/7)
Contact the Centre for Study Abroad inbound team if you have any queries about the application process for the study abroad programmes:
Phone: +44 117 39 40207
Students cannot audit units. Study abroad students are fully registered on units for credit purposes and must attend teaching only for classes that they are registered on.