Entry requirements

Find out the academic and English language entry requirements for your Study Abroad programme.

Academic requirements

You must meet all of these conditions:

  • You are currently enrolled in a higher education institution and studying towards a bachelor's degree
  • You have completed at least one year of study at university level by the start of your Bristol studies. If you're studying towards a 4-year bachelor's degree, we strongly recommend that you have completed at least 2 years of study
  • You have a strong ‘B’ average or 3.0 out of 4.0 Grade Point Average (GPA). We have a grade conversion in place for all our partner universities who do not grade on a 4.0 GPA system. If you are unsure of the conversion in place for your home university, please contact the Centre for Study Abroad inbound team for further information.

Mitigating circumstances

If there are mitigating circumstances that have affected your grades and mean that you are very slightly below the academic requirement, we may still be able to consider your application. In order to do this, we will need an academic reference from your home university and a personal statement to explain any mitigating circumstances. Each application will be assessed individually.

English language requirements

The English language requirements for our Study Abroad programmes are detailed below.

Study Abroad (General pathway) and Study Abroad (Subject pathway)

ProgrammeIELTS AcademicTOEFL iBT
Study Abroad (General pathway) and (Subject pathway) 6.5 overall with 6.0 in all skills 90 overall, minimum 20 in all parts

STABEL (Study Abroad with English Language) programme

IELTS Academic for UKVI
(from authorised test centres only)

Study Abroad with English Language (STABEL) with six-week pre-sessional course

6.0 overall with 5.5 in all skills

Study Abroad with English Language (STABEL) with ten-week pre-sessional course

5.5 overall with 5.0 in all skills

In order to meet these requirements you must meet one of the following conditions:

  • English is your native language
  • You can provide one of the certificates listed on Language Profile H. You will need to check that you have achieved your qualification within the valid timeframe.
  • English is the language you are taught and assessed in at your home university. If you think this applies to you, please contact cfsa-inbound@bristol.ac.uk in advance of the application deadline to confirm whether you need to provide any additional evidence as part of your application as an exemption cannot be guaranteed.

Please note that for the STABEL programme we can only accept IELTS Academic for UKVI from an authorised test centre.

English language support

If you want to improve your confidence with academic English while you study, English language units are also available to take as part of your Study Abroad programme. 

Edit this page