After you apply

Find out what to do after you have applied.

1. Accept your offer

We make offers on a rolling basis. We aim to make an offer within four weeks of receiving your completed application and supporting documents. 

Once we offer you a place, you must formally accept it by email. When we receive your acceptance we will send you a confirmation and pre-arrival letter by email, which will include information about living and studying in Bristol.

2. Apply for your visa

Full year students

If you do not hold a UK/Irish passport and will be studying at Bristol for more than 6 months, you must apply for a Student visa. We will send you a CAS (confirmation of acceptance for studies) around 3 months before the start of your programme. You will need the number on your CAS to apply for your visa.

Single semester students

If you do not hold a UK/Irish passport and will be studying at Bristol for only one semester, you must get a Standard Visitor visa. Some nationalities can receive this visa at the UK border, but some will need to get it before travelling to the UK.

Check if you need to apply for a visa before coming to the UK

Irish citizens

Irish passport holders do not need to get a visa and should follow the advice on the Common Travel Area webpage.

If you have any questions about applying for a visa, contact Student Visas.

3. Apply for accommodation

Once you have accepted your place on a Study Abroad programme, you will receive more information about accommodation and how to apply.

University accommodation

Autumn semester (September start) exchange students from institutions outside of Europe and all non-exchange students are guaranteed an offer of a place in University accommodation, if you apply by the deadline. Exchange students from institutions within Europe are not guaranteed an offer but are still welcome to apply and also given support to find private accommodation.

We cannot guarantee you University accommodation if you are only coming for the spring semester (January start). We will try to provide you with University accommodation and will help you find private rented accommodation if no University accommodation is available. 

If you have any questions about this, contact the Centre for Study Abroad Inbound team.

Private rented accommodation

After the first year at university, most UK students live in private accommodation. If you prefer an independent lifestyle, you could look for rented accommodation in the private sector. 

More information about living in privately rented accommodation.

4. Prepare for your arrival in Bristol

Find information for new international students and details of our Welcome Lounge where you can meet other students and get practical advice.


Study Abroad orientation happens at the start of term, shortly after you arrive. You must attend orientation. This will give you the information you need to help you settle into Bristol and finalise your unit choices. The Centre for Study Abroad Inbound team will send you more information about orientation before the start of term.

Edit this page