Transferring room or residence

This year, to limit the transmission of COVID-19 in student residences, the University is only allowing room transfers in certain circumstances (for example, if a student's health is at risk).

We understand that you may feel unhappy in your room, but want to assure you that there is support and help available to you. It is entirely normal to find things difficult when your first move in, and although moving can feel like the solution, there's a lot of other things we would try first. You should first speak to your Residential Life team about the issues you are having with settling in. They will be able to offer you help and advice.  

If you want to transfer

Our room transfer process is now closed. 

If you are living on your own because the rest of your living circle has returned home / not arrived

If you are living completely alone you are eligible to form a support bubble with another living circle/household. See the government guidance on support bubbles. The rules also permit exercise with one other person from another living circle or household, so long as social distancing is observed. Seek the support of Residential Life if you are feeling anxious or concerned. 

If there are issues with your room

If you have any maintenance concerns about your room, you should report these as detailed in your residence guide and the facilities team for your residence will investigate are repair any issues. We will not move students due to dissatisaction with a repair issue. In the event of an emergency such as a leak, we have tempoaray rooms that we will be able to move students to.   

If your room does not meet your health needs

When you applied for accommodation, any health needs should have been stated in your application and we would have used this information in ensuring the room you were allocated was as suitable as possible. However, if after moving in you feel the room does not meet these needs, your first step would be to talk to your Residential life team who will refer your case to the Accommodation Office if adjustments are needed. For example, if additional equipment is needed to adapt your room, we can work with our Disability Services team to make sure you have what is needed to live comfortably in your new home. 

If you didn't declare your health need in your application, you should still contact your Residential life team to discuss your concerns. Note that we will require medical evidence from your doctor that states what changes to your accommodation would be needed to support your health need, and may refer you to our Disability Services team to for an assessment of any adjustments that can be put in place in your current room.  

Edit this page