International students: After you arrive

Find out what to do when you arrive and our support services to help you during your time here.

Starting university in a new country can be a very exciting time. We hope you enjoy your time and recommend making the most of all the different events and opportunities available.

When you first arrive

Welcome events

There are a range of welcome events to welcome you to university, help you settle down and provide opportunities to make new friends. 

International Welcome Lounge

You can take advantage of the International Welcome Lounge. The Lounge is open from 9 to 13 September and 15 to 27 September. 

We arrange an exciting programme of activities. We'll provide details closer to the time. 

Police registration

If you needed a visa to come to the UK, check it to find out if you need to register with the police. If you do need to register with the police, you must do this within 7 days after arriving.

Build your community

Bristol Students' Union (SU)

The Students' Union (SU) is run by students for students and can support all aspects of your student life and offer lots of opportunities.

You can continue a hobby or develop a new passion by joining a club or society.

There are over 250 clubs, societies and networks to choose from. They're an excellent way to make new friends and enjoy university life. Student groups are arranged in categories, such as international, arts or religion. The SU also organises volunteering opportunities and events such as comedy nights, debates, pub quizzes and more.

International Student Network

You can join the SU's International Student Network. This network is for all international students to make friends through socials, campaigns, forums and more. There are 12 other networks which you may like to join.

Global Lounge

The Global Lounge team brings together students and staff, so that they may all learn about one another. A full calendar of events will be available for students ranging from celebrating international festivals such as Diwali, Nowruz or Thanksgiving to visiting nearby UK places of interest, such as Stonehenge, Cheddar Gorge or Cardiff.

Support services

Find out about some of our support services for current students.

Edit this page