Find out how to register so you can start your studies and become part of our community.
You must complete registration by the end of the second week of teaching for your course.
To be fully registered all students must carry out two steps:
Some students also have additional requirements:
- If you are studying on-campus for some or all of your course
Upload a photograph for your UCard so your card is ready when you arrive. Find out how to upload your photo and get your UCard.
- If you are not able to study on-campus at the current time and will start your studies online only
Tell us by completing the Location of studies form.
- If you are subject to immigration control
Complete a Right-to-Study check when you arrive in the UK.
- If you are on professional course
Some professional courses require you to complete occupational health and/or Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks. Your faculty will contact you if this is required.
How to register online
Most students will receive an email invitation when online registration opens for your course. You may receive the email later if your student record is not ready when the first email invitation is sent out.
If you don't receive an email invitation, you can access the link to online registration from this page when you are ready.
If your course has a non-standard start and induction date, your school will send you an email with information about registration and other tasks you need to complete before you begin your studies.
To register online, you need:
- your student number (found at the top of your offer document) or your UCAS personal ID (undergraduate students only).
- your family name (surname) and date of birth.
During online registration you will:
- Check your details are correct in your student record.
- Confirm your acceptance of the Student Agreement conditions.
- Create a password for your University of Bristol accounts. Keep it secure until you have memorised it.
- Download and save 'Your Registration Details' as this contains information for example your student number and faculty.
If you have decided not to study or you want to defer until next year, contact admissions and do not register online.
When you can register from
Online registration will open on 26 August.
After you have registered online
Once you have registered online you have access to your University of Bristol account. This includes your email and Blackboard, our online learning platform. You can also access online materials.
Find out more about the IT systems and tools available to help you get the most out of your learning.
Confirm you're ready to start your studies
You will not be fully registered as a student until you have confirmed that you are ready to 'Start your studies'.
We will send you an email asking you to complete a Start your studies form when you are due to start your course induction if you have registered online.
Completing the form confirms you are ready to actively engage with study. You do not need to do it before the start date of your course.
You need to have registered online before you complete the form.
If you are not ready to start your studies when your course starts
If you are not ready to start your studies (either online or in-person) on the date your course starts, tell us on the Start your studies form by selecting response: 'No, I am not ready to start'.
Find out when and where to register for your next year of study.