These pages are for GP teachers. If you are interested in studying medicine at Bristol, please see details of our MB ChB Medicine course.
Preparing for Professional Practice
Welcome to the Year 5 Primary Care attachment 2017-18. The Primary Care attachment is part of the 12 week course Preparing for Professional Practice (PPP). Students in pairs have a four week attachment to a General Practice.
The students are almost doctors and are being prepared for the world of work by polishing their clinical skills, practising decision making and learning the realities of how the system of healthcare works. We recognise the diversity of ‘what comes through the door’ in general practice and so are no longer asking you to teach to prescribed themes but rather focus on developing the students by asking them to provide care to your patients, both in and out of the consulting room.
Useful links for Year 5 GP Teachers
- Consultation and Procedural Skills (CAPS) The CAPS log book can be downloaded from this link. This log book lists the skills expected by the GMC in a newly qualified doctor.
- Year 5 Attendance and Payment form SH 2016-17 (PDF, 197kB)
- Student Concern Form (Office document, 61kB)
- Attendance Concern Form (Office document, 33kB)
- Mini-CEX marksheet (PDF, 601kB)
- CCA guidance for students and assessors on mini-CEXes (PDF, 307kB)
- CCA assessor guidance on mini-CEXes (PDF, 599kB)
- Mini-CEX instructions for GPs 2016-17 (PDF, 306kB)
Primary Health Care makes a contribution to the Finals examination for Bristol medical students. This involves both core members of academic staff and GP teachers from local practices. We are always keen to hear from GP teachers who would like to be involved.