Lost Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) Card
This information is only applicable to University of Bristol students.
If you are in the UK
- Report it to the police and obtain a police report/crime reference number
- Within 3 months of reporting this, you must apply for a replacement BRP card online
- Complete the Replacement BRP application form but stop at the Declaration page and save the form. Collect a student status letter (which should state your UK term-time address) from your Faculty office
- Book a check-and-submit appointment with a Student Visa Adviser by email. Attend the appointment with the documents listed in the checklist so that an adviser can check and send your replacement BRP card application for you. At the appointment you will sign the declarations and make an online payment of £75.20 as part of the application process
If you are outside the UK
- Report your lost or stolen BRP to UKVI immediately
- Report it to the local police and obtain a police report/crime reference number
- If you are outside the UK it is very important that you contact your Faculty office to make them aware of the situation and of your absence
- Follow the UKVI instructions to apply for a replacement BRP visa outside the UK in order to obtain a replacement visa to return to the UK. The application fee is £154 and this visa will only be valid for a 30-day period
- When you are back in the UK, you must apply for a replacement BRP card within one month. If you used a 'BRP Replacement' visa to get back to the UK, you will need to bring your passport to the visa drop-in so that we can take a copy
- Fill in the replacement BRP card online application but stop before you get to the Declaration section
- Request a Student Status letter (which should state your UK term-time address) from your Faculty office
- Book a check-and-submit appointment with a Student Visa Adviser by email. Attend the appointment with the documents listed in the checklist so that an adviser can check and send your replacement BRP card application for you. At the appointment you will pay the fee of £75.20 and submit the application online
We strongly suggest you use our office address when you are asked if you want to receive mail at a different address. This means that your biometric letter and new BRP card will be sent to us and we will email you when you can collect them. The address is: C/O Sarah Sherwin, Student Visa Services, Ground floor, Senate House, Tyndall Avenue, Bristol, BS8 1TH.
If you do not use our office address and your documents are sent back to you, your new BRP card must be checked and scanned by Student Visa Services as soon as you receive it. Come to a drop-in session with your card
It can take several months for a replacement BRP to be issued. It is very important that you do not let your visa expire while you wait for the UKVI to send you a new BRP. If you need more time in the UK to complete your studies, then you should submit a Tier 4 application before your visa expires and include a letter explaining why you are unable to send your BRP card.
Document checklist for BRP (RC) application
- Passport (if your original BRP was issued more than 2 years ago)
- Document proving your UK term-time address, e.g. student status letter containing your address (can be requested from your Faculty Office)