Education and training
Would you like to work on a research project within the Centre for Surgical Research? If so, please complete the application form here.
Over the next decade the Bristol Centre for Surgical Research, working with other centres, surgeons and scientists, will establish evidence and train a new generation of surgeons who understand and participate in randomised trials.
The centre provides excellent opportunities for undergraduate and postgraduate education. Key aims are to:
- Develop the next generation of academic surgeons and non-clinical academics
- Equip surgical trainees with the skills required to design, lead and/or participate in surgical trials and other research studies, and practise evidence-based surgery
- Inspire medical students and surgeons to pursue a career in academic surgery
We host a number of clinical academics (AF2, ACF, ACL) as well as PhD and MD students working on a variety of projects relevant to trials in surgery. Current PhD posts can be found here
The Centre provides training through:
- Collaboration with the Surgical Intervention Trials Unit (SITU) in Oxford to run a trials methodology course for surgical trainees – BOSTiC: Training in Research Methods for Surgical Trainees
External student-selected components (eSSC) for medical students – SSC in Surgical Research (previously named The John Farndon Undergraduate Surgical Training Programme in Surgical Innovation and Evaluation) and and third year Student Choice placements
- Working with the South West regional trainee-research collaborative SPARCS to design trials, audits and research projects
- Working with the Association of Surgeons in Training and other surgical training committees (e.g. the Roux Group) to develop research courses and foster research collaborations between trainees with similar sub-specialty interests
The centre engenders a multi-disciplinary working environment where people are encouraged to explore their learning needs, share ideas, support others and to fulfil their potential at all career stages
Established, highly successful training and development short courses relevant to surgical trials are also available within the Bristol Medical School where the Centre is based.
For all queries, expressions of interest, or to register for a course please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org