Assistance animals in residences

University accommodation is not an appropriate environment for most animals and therefore pets of any kind are not permitted in our residences because of the potential for damage to the accommodation, disruption to other tenants and the welfare of the animal.  

We do have some rooms that are suited to students who have a disability or health condition that requires the support of a registered assistance dog. 

What is an assistance dog? 

Assistance dogs are dogs which have been trained by an organisation which is accredited by Assistance Dog International and/or The International Guide Dog Federation.  You can see the full list of accredited organisations on the Assistance Dogs UK website. 

Assistance dogs perform practical assistive tasks for their owners and/or alert them to life-threatening medical conditions.  Whilst they undoubtedly provide emotional support to their owners, this is not their sole purpose. 

Can I bring my assistance animal into university accommodation? 

Yes, we are committed to making reasonable adjustments for our disabled students, which includes permitting registered assistance dogs in residences. 

If you have a registered assistance dog, please ensure you include this information in your accommodation application.  We will then get in touch with you directly to discuss the accommodation that is best suited to your needs. We will require evidence that your dog is accredited as an assistance dog.  

What about emotional support animals and other pets?  

In the UK, emotional support animals do not have legal recognition in the way that assistance dogs do. Emotional support animals are legally considered pets, and therefore we cannot permit them to be kept in our residences. Students who bring pets into residences will be in breach of their tenancy agreement and will be required to leave their residence.  

Edit this page