Your accommodation needs

We are committed to providing all our students with the accommodation that is best suited to their needs. That’s why we need you to tell us anything about you - big or small - that affects the type of accommodation you need.

What type of things do we need to know about? 

You may have certain accommodation requirements because of a disability, health or mental health condition, or another factor such as your height, diet, gender identity or religion.

Examples include but are not limited to:

  • A larger bed due to your height or another factor.
  • An en suite room due to a health or mental health condition, or for religious reasons.
  • Catered accommodation due to chronic fatigue or difficulties cooking for yourself. 
  • Self-catered accommodation due to allergies, a health or mental health condition, or religious requirements.
  • Non-gendered bathroom facilities due to your gender identity. 
  • Medical refrigeration facilities to store medication. 
  • A non-carpeted room due to allergies. 
  • A self-contained studio room due to a disability, health or mental health condition. 
  • An adapted or accessible room due to mobility difficulties or sensory impairment. 
  • Anything else about you that affects the type of accommodation you need. 

You don't need to tell us that you require non-smoking accommodation because all University accommodation is non-smoking.

Why do you need to tell us?

In your accommodation application, you need to tell us about your accommodation needs so we can make sure that any accommodation we offer you is suitable. Any information you share with us is treated sensitively in accordance with our Confidentiality Statement.   

You must tell us your needs even if you intend to list accommodation options that meet your requirements. This is because accommodation options are not guaranteed. Anything you do not mention in your application but go on to tell us at a later date may mean we are unable to meet your needs. 

What do we mean by disability, health or mental health condition? 

Examples include but are not limited to: 

  • Mental health difficulties e.g. depression, anxiety, eating disorders, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), bipolar affective disorder or personality disorders. 
  • Autism. 
  • Specific learning difficulties. 
  • Sensory impairments e.g. visual or hearing impairment, blindness, or deafness. 
  • Mobility difficulties e.g. paralysis, scoliosis, chronic pain, difficulty walking, or using a wheelchair. 
  • Ongoing health conditions e.g. arthritis, epilepsy, diabetes, cystic fibrosis, repetitive strain injury (RSI), multiple sclerosis, Crohn’s disease, chronic pain, lupus, or chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME).  

Apply for 20% rent reduction on disability grounds 

If you have a disability and your accommodation needs incur an additional cost, you may be eligible for a 20% reduction in accommodation fees. To be eligible, you will need to meet the following criteria: 

  • You have a disability as defined by the Equality Act 2010.
  • Your disability-related accommodation needs incur an additional cost.
  • You do not have access to any other sources of funding towards accommodation costs.
  • You can provide evidence of your disability and your disability-related accommodation needs. This must be one or more documents written by a healthcare professional which confirm your diagnosis and how this affects the type of accommodation you need.

You can apply for the 20% rent reduction in your accommodation application. Please note this is not available to students in couple or family accommodation.

What happens next? 

We will use the information you tell us to make sure that any offer of accommodation we make you meets your needs. We may contact you to discuss your requirements in more detail. 

How to apply for University accommodation

Find out how to apply for University accommodation.

Edit this page