Applying for a visa
International students coming to the UK to study full-time must apply for a student visa. If you need a visa to study in the UK, you must have a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number to apply for your Tier 4 student visa.
The admissions team will generate your CAS number when you have fulfilled the following requirements:
- Accept your offer online;
- Submit documentation that proves that you have met the conditions of your offer in the 'Evidence for Conditions' section of your online application;
- Upload a colour scan of your passport in the 'Post submission uploads' section of your online application;
- Self-funded international applicants are required to pay a deposit;
- Students whose studies are fully funded by sponsorship (i.e. a scholarship) do not have to pay the deposit. You must provide evidence of your sponsorship by emailing the International Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a copy of your sponsorship confirmation document. You must also upload proof of your funding (i.e. your sponsorship letter) to your online application and email the admissions team to let them know you have done it. Please visit Financial evidence for your visa application for details.
A CAS cannot be issued unless the above actions have been completed.
You will receive your CAS number by email. Once all the above requirements have been met, the admissions team aims to generate a CAS for you within a week. Please contact the admissions team or department with queries concerning your CAS. Contact information can be found on each entry in the programme finder.
You can check UK government visa processing times for an estimate of how long you will need to apply for your visa.
Some applicants will need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance certificate. This applies to international applicants who need a visa to study in the UK and who will be studying certain science, engineering or technology programmes.
The COVID-19 pandemic has significantly impacted visas and international travel, as well as how the University operates in general.
Please see the University's visa webpage to find out more.