Orchard Heights residence guide

Your guide to living in Orchard Heights, including instructions specific to your residence and other important information.

Bike storage

You should use a good security lock to store your bike. Storing your bike on University property is entirely at your own risk.

Bikes are not covered by your contents insurance; this requires an additional premium to be paid. Check your policy and be sure to take out additional coverage should you need it.

Bikes must not be stored or secured anywhere other than the open racks or secure areas. Bikes found in student rooms, communal areas, corridors or stairwells will be removed.

In line with the University's Abandoned Bikes Policy, any bikes deemed abandoned will be tagged, removed and put into storage. If bikes are not collected, they will eventually be donated to the charity LifeCycle.

Where to store your bike

Down the corridor to the left of reception. You are required to register your bike at the UNITE Reception before being granted access to the bike stores. Bicycles are left in the bike store at the owner's risk and UNITE do not accept liability for any accidents, damage or loss incurred.

Cars, parking and transport

Bus pass

Students in University accommodation are eligible for a free bus pass that can be used on several services that stop at the Clifton campus. Find out more on our student travel web pages. Postgraduate students living in postgraduate-only accommodation are not eligible.

Parking permit

It is important to note that parking permits are not available for East Village residences:

  • Accommodation at Thirty-Three
  • Chantry Court
  • The Courtrooms
  • Dean Street Works
  • The Hawthorns
  • Marlborough House
  • New Bridewell
  • Print Hall
  • Redland Road
  • Riverside
  • St Michael's Hill
  • St Michael's Park
  • St Thomas Street
  • Woodland Road

You should not bring a car to Bristol unless it is essential, for example because of a disability. Before bringing a vehicle to one of our residences in either the North or West villages, you must have successfully applied for a parking permit.

Who can apply?

Priority will be given to students who:

  • are a Blue Badge holder (mobility impairment); 
  • have a disability or ill health that means they need the use of a car; 
  • have caring responsibilities that cannot be performed without a car; 
  • have an academic placement for their course that can only be reached by car. 

Permits will only be issued for cars that are adequately insured and taxed, and have an up-to-date MOT.

How to apply

To apply for a parking permit, you must:

  • register for a student account with PermitSmarti;
  • complete the Annual Student Permit online form. If you are asked to supply proof of residency, a copy of your accommodation agreement or invoice will be sufficient.

You will then be notified if your application has been successful.

Applications will be accepted from 7 September ready for the start of term, although the form will remain open for students who want to bring a car later in the year.


Blue Badge holders will receive their permit free of charge. 

All other students will be charged: 

  • £99 for North Residential Village permits; 
  • £179 for the West Residential Village permits. 

When can I start using my parking space?

Annual permits are valid from 20 September 2021 to 18 July 2022.

You will not be able to park your car at your residence until after the main arrival dates of 15–20 September 2021 because all the spaces will be used for students who are moving in.

We also offer fixed-term permits:

  • spring/summer permit: valid from 7 January 2022 to 18 July 2022
  • summer permit: valid from 22 April 2022 to 18 July 2022

Where will my parking space be?

No permits are available for East Village residences. Applications from residents in our city centre properties will be considered but if you are offered a permit, it is likely to be within the North Residential Village where more spaces are available.

Summer vacation parking

If you are staying in University accommodation over the summer, you have the option of extending your parking permit with our summer top-up, which is valid from 18 July 2021 to 20 September 2021.

Parking terms and conditions

All parking in our residences is subject to the residential parking student terms and conditions (PDF, 453kB) and our Residences car parking policy (PDF, 532kB).

Cleaning, recycling and rubbish

Your responsibilities

You are expected to keep your accommodation in a clean and habitable condition. This includes communal areas. You must:

  • wash up your dishes after you have used them;
  • use the recycling scheme.

If you don't meet an acceptable standard of cleanliness and hygiene:

You may also face action under the Student Disciplinary Regulations.

Recycling and cleaning

We provide recycling and composting facilities at all residences. You can recycle:

  • paper
  • cardboard
  • glass
  • tins and cans
  • plastics
  • food waste
  • clothes, shoes, fabrics.

Kitchen cleaning does not include rubbish disposal or washing up.

Cleaning schedule

Flats will be cleaned every two weeks.

Recycling bins

Just off the courtyard.

Connect to the internet

You will have access to Wi-Fi and an ethernet port in your room. The Wi-Fi provider is Glide.

When you first arrive in your accommodation, connect your device to the Wi-Fi network. Search for uS-Glide on your device and enter your Unite Students account details.

Next, open your preferred web browser. If you browser displays a message that the connection is not secure, select 'Advanced', then continue to the website. This is simply your browser flagging that our network is trying to redirect you. If you already have a Glide account, you should enter your username and password and select 'Continue'. If you haven't made an account yet, you'll need to select 'Get Started' and set up an account with your University email address.

You will be automatically opted into the Essential Glide Student account once you set up your account. You can then enjoy up to 1Gbps Internet service (up to 290Mbps on Wi-Fi). Be aware that some older devices may not be gigabit capable. Check your settings to find out more information on your connections.

Once you've logged in for the first time, you may be asked to log in again if you're ever disconnected from the internet for a longer period of time. This helps keep your account secure and makes sure that no one else is benefiting from the services that you have paid for without your knowledge.

If you have any issues connecting, contact Glide on 0333 123 0198/ 0333 123 0115 (these numbers are monitored 24/7) or email studentsupport@glide.co.uk

The Twitter Service Account @GlideStudentHelp is also active 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Broadcast quality TV

You can access broadcast quality TV on your laptop through Glide.


This includes damage caused by you or your guests, either deliberately or due to negligence, that goes beyond normal wear and tear. It also includes damage caused by sticking anything to the walls.

If the damage is in a communal area, like the kitchen, everyone living in the flat, corridor or block may be charged.


Charges for damage will vary according to cost of carrying out the work but as an estimate could include:

  • Clean one wall: £25
  • Repaint one wall: £100
  • Replace one mattress: £100
  • Clean one carpet: £50
  • Replace one carpet: £200
  • Clean one fridge, freezer, oven or hob: £30
  • Clean one kitchen, bedroom or bathroom: £55

There is also an administrative fee of 15%, up to a maximum of £50.

You have the right to appeal against any charge to the facilities manager for your residence.

Reporting damage

If you break or damage something in your residence you need to report it to us. This will give us the opportunity to repair it.

If you don't tell us, it will be discovered at the end of your tenancy. You may be charged for the repair at that point as an end-of-tenancy charge.

Doing laundry

Drying clothes

You should not dry wet clothes in your room as this causes condensation and mould. Wet clothes left on drying frames or draped over warm radiators can raise moisture levels by up to 30 per cent. This can help mould to grow, which in turn can cause health problems, including some potentially serious lung infections.

Laundry at Orchard Heights

The laundry facilities are next to the Unite Common Room (above reception).

You can operate the machines with the MyUnite app, which you can download when you arrive. You can buy a payment card from Unite reception instead if you cannot use the app.


Washing: £3.10
Drying: £1.70

Fire safety

There are fire alarms, smoke alarms and fire-fighting equipment in your residence. Do not cover fire safety signs or prop open a fire door.

Do not play with or interfere with this fire safety equipment. If any detectors are faulty, you should report this promptly.

Fire exit doors and routes must be kept clear. Do not obstruct corridors and stairs, so that the building can be evacuated quickly if there is a fire. This is one reason why bikes must not be brought into buildings. Anything blocking a fire exit may be removed into storage without notice.

Remain with your cooking at all times. The highest fire risks are from cooking being left unattended or using dirty pans, especially grill pans.

We may inspect your electrical equipment and if we think it poses a fire risk, we will take it into storage or ask that you remove it from the premises.

Any actions that put other residents in danger are taken very seriously by the University. These actions could result in disciplinary action and may be referred to the police.

False alarms

False alarms cause disruption and annoyance to all other residents. False alarms also put lives at risk. If firefighters are dealing with a false alarm, they can’t help those in need at a real emergency.

Your bedroom has a smoke detector, which is very sensitive and easily set off.

Do all you can to limit false alarms, especially when cooking. The most common cause of false fire alarms is cooking with the kitchen door propped open.

Evacuating the building

Read the Action in Case of Fire notice in your flat or on your corridor. Make sure you know the fire exit routes from your room and from the communal areas of your residence.

  1. Leave the building promptly if you hear the fire alarm. Do not wait to pick up personal belongings.
  2. Shut doors behind you as you leave.
  3. Shout "fire" and knock on any bedroom doors on your way out of the building.
  4. You are not expected to fight fires. Only use extinguishers if they are needed to help you escape in an emergency.
  5. Go straight to the assembly point for your residence (see below) and wait there for a roll call to be taken.
  6. Tell University/accommodation staff or the fire service anything you know about the situation. For example, whether it is a real fire or if anyone is still in the building.
  7. Do not go back into the building until you have been told it is safe to do so by a member of University staff or the fire service.

The assembly point for Orchard Heights is opposite the O2 Academy.

Fire alarm testing

Fire alarms will be tested every Tuesday at 3 pm. You do not need to evacuate during a fire alarm test.

If you hear a fire alarm at any other time or if the fire alarm sounds continuously for more than 10 seconds you must evacuate the building immediately.

First aid

If you have an accident or near miss while in University accommodation, report it to your Student Support Centre. We need to know about it so that steps can be taken to prevent it happening again.

A near miss is an incident that could have resulted in an injury, such as slipping on the stairs or tripping on uneven flooring.

First aid boxes contain bandages, wound dressings, sterile eye pads, plasters and other items to help with minor injuries. No medication, such as paracetamol, is kept in the first aid box.

First Aid boxes are located at reception.

Lost keys or locked out

If you are locked out, contact reception and a member of residence staff will be able to let you back into your room. If on-site staff are unavailable, contact the Unite 24-hour emergency contact centre using the call point at reception, or by phoning 0300 303 1611.

If you have lost your key, go to reception with your ID to get a replacement. You will be charged £10 for a lost key card and £14 for a lost post box key, unless your keys were stolen and you can provide a crime reference number from the police.

Lost property

Lost property will be kept in reception until the end of the tenancy. Any unclaimed items will be given to charity.


The postal address is: Your name, Orchard Heights, 31 Frogmore Street, Bristol, BS1 5NA.

All mail will be distributed to your postbox in reception, which you can open with a 3-digit code. Larger parcels, or mail that requires a signature, will be held by reception. You will be contacted to let you know that there is an item you need to collect. You will need to bring ID.

All post received for students who are no longer living at Orchard Heights will be destroyed.

You can arrange for groceries to be delivered to Orchard Heights but you must be available to collect them from the delivery driver when they arrive. Residence staff cannot do this on your behalf and will not take any responsibility for items such as birthday cakes if they are delivered to the building without prior arrangement.

Make a complaint

Occasionally students need to tell us about something they are not satisfied with. Raise a complaint or concern with your residence.

Rent and tenancy dates

When to pay

You will need to pay your accommodation fees once you have moved into your residence and received an invoice. Go to your online financial statement to view your invoices.

Once you have received your invoice, you have two options: either pay it in full or pay in instalments.

  1. Pay in full:
    • Total accommodation fee payable by 24 October
  2. Pay in three instalments:
    • Instalment 1 payable by 24 October – 40% of accommodation fee
    • Instalment 2 payable by 24 January – 30% of accommodation fee
    • Instalment 3 payable by 24 April – 30% of accommodation fee

How to pay

You can pay by debit card, credit card or direct debit, whether you are paying in full or in instalments.

Pay your accommodation fees

If you’re not sure how to set up a payment plan to pay in instalments, follow these instructions. They explain how to set up a payment plan for tuition fees - the instructions for paying your accommodation fees are identical.

If you are not able to use any of these payment methods, read about the other options we offer.

If you fail to pay

If you do not pay your rent by the deadlines stated in your tenancy agreement, you will receive several reminders to set up a payment plan. Your residence conditions state that if you have still not paid 28 days after it was due, we may give you 28 days’ notice to leave the accommodation. Full details of the process are outlined in our arrears procedure (PDF).

If you are struggling with accommodation costs, contact our student funding team for help.

Tenancy dates

The dates of your tenancy can be found in your tenancy agreement, in the Accommodation Portal.

Request a repair

If something is broken or needs repairing in your residence, you need to let us know as soon as possible. If you don't tell us about something you have damaged, it will be picked up at the end of your tenancy and you may be charged for the repair.

If you request a repair, we will deem that notice has been given for staff or contractors to get access to your room or residence. Maintenance staff will always carry identification and you should ask to see it.

How to request a repair

Request a repair using the MyUnite app:

  1. Select Maintenance from the app main menu.
  2. Choose In your flat or In your building to tell us the general location.
  3. Select the appropriate option to give us a more specific location.
  4. Pick a category to tell us roughly what’s affected by the problem.
  5. Refine further by choosing the specific item that needs fixing.
  6. Choose the exact fault from the list of problems for that item.
  7. Write a detailed description to help our engineer, then select submit.

For more information, read the guide to getting something fixed on the Unite website.

Social spaces

Due to coronavirus these times and access may change. Check in your residence for the most up-to-date information.

The Space is a large communal area off reception, open from 7 am to 11 pm (open later during revision/exam periods, Unite-Students reserves the right to remove this facility if the longer hours policy is abused). It has a music room containing a piano, which you can book using the room schedule on the door. Students studying Music are expected to use their departmental resources should they need specifically scheduled practice times. The Space also has meeting/group study rooms (bookable using the room schedules on the doors), group study tables in main area (no booking required), a pool table and table tennis, and a cinema room with a TV and projector.

The common room is a smaller area at the top of stairs/lift (above reception). It is open 24/7 and has sofas, study desks, TV, table tennis, a pool table and vending machines.

To avoid causing disruption to other residents, make sure that you observe the signposted quiet times in the courtyard area.

Staff access to your room

We may occasionally need to get into your flat or bedroom, for example to carry out repairs and maintenance.

We will try to give you 24 hours’ notice if access is required by accommodation staff or contractors. However, if it is an emergency, immediate access may be needed. If you have requested a repair, we will deem that notice has already been given.

All University staff and contractors will carry identification and you should always ask to see it before letting someone into your room.

Open days and promotional activities

You must allow your room and facilities:

  • to be shown to prospective students on University open days or visit days;
  • to be filmed or photographed for promotional purposes.

We will give you seven days’ notice if your room is going to be needed for either of these reasons. Any filming or visits will be supervised by a member of University staff.

Edit this page