It is important to take your sexual health seriously to protect you and your partner from unwanted diseases. We can advise on many aspects of sexual health and provide appropriate tests if required.
We offer a limited range of sexual health screening here at student health.
Sadly the NHS in Bristol has chosen to withdraw funding of screening of asymptomatic patients. If you requre a full sexual health screen then this can be done at the Bristol sexual health clinic. This clinic is for patients of all GP practices in Bristol. Please note that anything you tell them is strictly confidential and will not be placed into your general medical record. Please see their website for more information.
Chlamydia and gonorrhoea screening
An appointment is not required for this test.
Test kits are freely available in the practice from display boxes in the waiting room, on windowsills along both corridors and from the office. You will need to return your test kit to one of the sample boxes in the practice.
The NHS in Bristol has withdrawn funding for asymptomatic screening of blood borne disease such as HIV. However stduent health does offer HIV testing to a specific group of at risk patients. these groups of patients.
1. People diagnosed with a Sexually Transmitted Infection eg Genital Warts, Genital Herpes, Chlamydia, Gonorrhoea, Trichomonas, Hepatitis, NSU (Non specific urethritis)
2. People from a country with a high prevalence of HIV (>1%) *
3. Sexual partners of those from a high HIV prevalence country (>1%) *
4. Sexual partners of those known to be HIV positive
5. IV drug users
You may be offered additional tests for Syphilis and Hepatitis if appropriate at the same time as the HIV test.
Countries with high prevalence of HIV in adults (above 1%):
Angola, Bahamas, Belize, Benin, Botswana, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Republic of Cote d’Ivoire/Ivory Coast, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Estonia, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Africa, South Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, Zambia
Symptomatic Sexual Health Appointments
A service is available for patients with the following problems:
- Female Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
- Epididymitis or Orchitis
- Non specific urethritis
- Penile discharge
- Testicular Pain
- Sexual contacts of Gonorrhoea, Syphilis or HIV
- Patients who have symptoms that are not attributable to these sexual health problems (eg Genital Warts or herpes) may be directed to Bristol sexual Health Clinic for assessment and treatment.
Contact the surgery if you need further advice.