If you are absent during your studies
You may be absent due to illness or other reasons, and this may affect your studies.
- Use the table to find out if you need to fill in a form (an absence form, extenuating circumstances form), or obtain a medical certificate.
- Visit us to discuss your medical problems.
- Inform your department if you have any problems with your course.
Absent during a teaching period
|Reason for absence||Form to be completed|
|Absent due to illness for 7 consecutive days or less||Inform your school and complete a Self-certification for absence form (Office document, 74kB).|
|Absent due to illness for more than 7 consecutive days||Complete an Extenuating Circumstances form (Office document, 52kB)
|Unable to attend a summative exam or submit a summative coursework assignment by the deadline||Complete an Extenuating Circumstances form (Office document, 52kB)|
|Absent due to non-health reasons, such as bereavement||You do not need to see a doctor or get a 'sick note'. However, an Extenuating Circumstances form (Office document, 52kB) may still be required for your school/faculty.|
Requesting a medical certificate
You do not need a doctor's appointment to requst a medical certificate. If your illness lasts for more than 7 days and you are completing an extenuating circumstances form then you can email the office with a request.
Remember to include your reasons for the request, and what support you are requesting from the University.
Submit your completed form to your school/department within two working days of the end of the period of absence.
Request an extension
You must submit work on time unless an extension has been agreed by your School. Schools will not accept late submission without penalty where no extension has been granted.
Contact your school to discuss an extension.
Absent during your exams?
The University has a clear policy for certifcation of illness during the exam periods or on the day of the exam. Please see the up to date University guidance.
You must submit your completed self certification form to your school/department within two working days of the end of the period of absence.
- The information provided in the forms will be held by the University and processed by staff in your school and faculty office to keep a record of your absence.
- Your school will monitor the frequency of self-certified absences and will inform you of their procedures to follow up multiple instances.
- Your Head of School may request you provide medical certification in multiple and sustained instances of self-certified illness.
- Information will be recorded and processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act.