Short course booking information
Updated terms and conditions
Our terms and conditions for the 2017-18 academic year have been updated, please read these prior to booking.
Our courses are extremely popular. We recommend that you check individual course pages for current availability prior to booking.
Subject to availability we offer a limited number of free and discounted places for eligible applicants, please see course fees for more details.
Payments for course fees will be requested by credit or debit card though the University online shop. Requests to pay by other means must be received within 7 days of booking. Please be aware that we can only confirm your booking once we have received payment.
We ask that all payments are made promptly, either within a month of your booking date, or one month before the course start date (whichever comes first).
Our short courses are popular and often have a waiting list. Therefore, if we have not received payment within this time period, we may release your provisional place to another person on the waiting list.
Cancellation and non-attendance may result in a penalty fee, please see the terms and conditions below for more details.
We will send you course details, including directions and a provisional course timetable, approximately three weeks before the course start date.
Booking terms and conditions
- Applicants for FREE and DISCOUNTED short course places are expected to obtain approval from their line manager/supervisor in advance of booking.
- Applicants must select ONE relevant fee category. Unless otherwise specified, applicants may not apply for discounts under multiple fee categories.
- No applicant may exceed the maximum number of bookings specified in the policy (except for pilot courses; see below).
- Unless otherwise specified, full fees will be applied to any bookings over the maximum allocation for each fee category.
- Course allocation maximums include waiting list places.
- If no fee waiver or discount is selected on a booking form, full fees will automatically be applied.
- All affiliations are checked to confirm eligibility for free or discounted course places.
- All bookings are subject to availability.
- The Short Course Fees Policy is updated at the start of each academic year.
- No bookings can be transferred from one academic year to the next.
- The Short Course Director has final say on the application of the policy.
Terms and conditions for applicants for FREE places:
- Applicants for FREE places are expected to attend every day of the course. A penalty fee of £50 per course day is levied for non-attendance if FREE places are not cancelled in advance.
- Cancellations made with less than 4 weeks’ notice incur a one-off £50 cancellation fee. Cancellations made with more than 4 weeks’ notice are not charged.
- This policy is enforced to ensure that as many people as possible benefit from available courses.
- All penalty fees are payable within 2 weeks. Until penalty fees are settled, no further courses may be attended or booked.
- Failure to pay a penalty fee will result in future bookings being cancelled and refusal of any new course bookings in both current and subsequent years.
- Applicants may not apply to attend a course they have completed in a previous academic year. Instead they may contact the short course team 2 weeks in advance of the course start date to see if there are places available or to join the waiting list at that stage.
Terms and conditions for applicants for DISCOUNTED and FULL FEE places:
- Applicants for DISCOUNTED and FULL FEE short course places must ensure funding is available to cover course fees in advance of booking.
- Applicants for DISCOUNTED and FULL FEE places must settle course fees within 4 weeks of the booking date or course start date (whichever comes first). If payment is not received within this time provisional places will automatically be cancelled.
- UoB journal payments for short course fees must be arranged by the Account Administrator for the payee's grant code. Fees can also be paid through the UoB online shop.
- Our preferred method of payment is via the University Online shop. An option to pay by sales invoice if offered provided a Purchase Order is received within 7 days of a course booking and there are more than 6 weeks before the start of the course.
- In the event that applicants need to cancel a booking, we ask for as much notice as possible to allow others to take advantage of the available course place. Applicants cancelling with more than 4 weeks’ notice before the start of a course will be eligible for a full refund. Cancellations made more than 4 weeks before the start of a course will result in full fees being charged.
- In the unlikely event that a short course is cancelled, our liability is limited to refunding course fees. We recommend that applicants for DISCOUNTED and FULL FEE short course have adequate insurance cover to reclaim any travel or accommodation expenses if applicable.
Policy for internal only and pilot short courses
- Fees do not apply for pilot courses, nor do these count against the allocation of free course places.
- Places on established internal only courses (Writing a Journal Article) count against course allocation totals. Fees are payable if course allocation totals have been exceeded.
For further information, please contact us.
Book on a short course
Visa information for non-EU applicants
We are unable to provide visa application support letters for non-EU applicants. We recommend that non-EU applicants ensure sufficient time to apply for a visa in advance of course start dates.