Coronavirus (COVID-19) information

In line with government advice, we are currently not allowing guests to check-in to university accommodation.  Please take a look at our FAQs for the latest information relating to coronavirus and university accommodation.

If you are planning to be away from your residence it is important that you let us know by emailing  Please include your student number, residence name and the dates of your absence in your email.

Wills Hall Guide

Service or resourceSummary
Reporting absence It is very important that we know when you are away in case there is a fire or other emergency. To report your absence from hall please complete the absence form.
Room access University staff and contractors will normally try to give 24 hours notice that access is required to a flat or bedroom, however in the case of an emergency immediate access may be necessary. See the University’s guidance for accessing accommodation (PDF, 120KB). Where a repair has been requested notice that access is required will be deemed to have been given. All University staff and contractors will carry identification and residents should always ask to see it.
Rent and tenancy dates

You can see the accommodation fees, or rent, for your residence by downloading the Undergraduate accommodation fees (PDF, 129KB) which also has details of your tenancy dates. Full information on how to pay your accommodation fees can be found on the Accommodation Office website.

If you are having any concerns about managing your finances, there is help available. You can contact the fees and funding team who will be able to offer advice. 

Should you fall behind with your accommodation fees, the University will follow the rent arrears procedure (PDF), which is designed to work with you in conjunction with your Residential Life team to create a payment plan and enable you to pay any rent owed.   

Arrivals and moving in

Approximately two weeks before the start of your tenancy, if you have accepted your accommodation offer, you will receive an email inviting you to complete our online induction to life in our residences. 

On the final page of the induction you will be able to book an arrival slot and download your check-in QR code. We recommend that you print this page which will have useful information on where to go on the day, telephone numbers you might need, and the QR code, which you will need to present on arrival. 

A friendly team will meet you, scan your QR code to check you in, and then give you your keys and show you how to get to your room.

Please note that you will be told your room number on arrival at your accommodation only; we're unable to give you this information any earlier.

Welcome week activities will be taking place across your residence and the University to welcome you and give you the best introduction to University life. You'll find out more about the events at your residence on arrival and through our Facebook Page.


Your bedroom will be supplied with a bed, mattress, desk, task lighting, chair, curtains/blind, drawers/shelving, wardrobe and waste receptacle. We do not supply bed linen, duvets or pillows. You can order these to be delivered to your residence before your arrival. 

For reasons of safety residents are not permitted to have their own heaters or cooking equipment such as toasters or kettles in their bedrooms. Any such items may be taken into storage by residence staff.

Bike storage

A charge of £5 is required for a key to the bike shed. Please email the North Village Residential Facilities team at to arrange access.

All bikes require a good security lock and remain entirely at the owner’s risk. Bikes are not covered by your contents insurance; this requires an additional premium to be paid. Please check your policy and be sure to take out additional coverage should you need it.

Bikes may not be stored or secured anywhere other than the open racks or secure areas. Bikes found in student rooms, communal areas, corridors or stairwells will be removed.

At the end of the year all bikes must be removed by the last date of tenancy. Bikes remaining after this date will be donated to the charity LifeCycle.


Residents are expected to maintain their accommodation including communal areas in a clean and habitable condition. In particular they must wash up after themselves and participate in the recycling scheme that will be explained on arrival. Failure to observe adequate standards of cleanliness and hygiene may lead to the suspension of normal cleaning services, removal of goods or material and/or the imposition of charges for additional cleaning in addition to action under the Disciplinary Procedures.

Subject to the above and to staff availability, the cleaning provided in your residence as a minimum is shown below:

  • Halls and stairways - usually weekly
  • Kitchens - twice weekly
  • Bathrooms - daily
  • Bedrooms and en suite shower rooms - not serviced, student responsibility. Rooms are inspected once per term. 

Please note that cleaning of kitchens will not include disposal of rubbish or doing students’ washing up. 


Very occasionally students are unhappy with their accommodation or the services they are receiving. For any concerns that you wish to escalate, please initially visit our reporting problems page and follow the guidance to make us aware of your concerns. The Accommodation Office will then try and resolve the issue via this first stage informal process. 

If you are not satisfied with the response you have a number of options: 

If all these avenues have been exhausted you may be able to complain to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education, which provides an independent scheme for the review of student complaints. The OIA will consider cases only when the University’s own internal complaints and appeal procedures have been exhausted.


You will be charged for any cleaning, repairs or replacements needed to University property that go beyond normal wear and tear and which arise out of damage or negligence by yourself or your guests. This includes damage caused by affixing anything to the walls. Where damage occurs in a communal area such as a kitchen it may be charged to all the occupants of a flat, corridor or block. You have the right to appeal against any charge to your Residential Facilities Manager.

An example of charges is given below, please note that these may vary according to labour or costs involved (all charges are subject to depreciation). Charges are subject to an administrative fee of 15% up to a maximum of £50.

  • Clean one wall - £25
  • Repaint one wall - £100
  • Replace one mattress - £100
  • Clean one carpet - £50
  • Replace one carpet - £200
  • Clean one fridge, freezer, oven or hob - £30
  • Clean one kitchen, bedroom or bathroom - £55

Such charges may be applied during your tenancy or after you have moved out as an end of tenancy change. Find out more about these charges by visiting our moving out pages and by downloading our end of tenancy charges factsheet (PDF)

Electrical equipment and portable appliance testing

All University owned electrical equipment is PAT tested when it is new and all University owned equipment is subject to regular testing. The University will not test any personal electrical equipment you may bring and we do not accept any liability for its safety. We do ask that you adhere to the following:

  • Any electrical appliances you bring must be British Standard approved and correctly wired.
  • Electrical appliances must not be used in bathrooms and showers unless designed for that purpose.
  • Mains extension leads can be used provided that the load on the extension is no more than 13 amps and use is limited to one lead per socket. Cables should be positioned carefully and not present a trip hazard or other risk.
  • All equipment must be suitable for use in the UK. The electricity supply in the UK is 220 – 240v.
  • You must not modify or interfere with the University’s electrical equipment. Any faults, possible hazards or safety concerns should be notified to a member of staff as soon as possible
  • Heaters and cooking equipment are not permitted in bedrooms and may be removed into storage.

The risk assessments for residential accommodation, in particular those which relate to fire, cover all electrical equipment which we anticipate a residential student will use. The University reserves the right to inspect residents’ electrical equipment and if in their view such equipment poses a risk then staff reserve the right to have the equipment PAT tested, take the equipment into safe keeping or request that you remove the equipment from the premises.


The University is committed to reducing our carbon impact and encourages residents to reduce energy and water use and participate in the various carbon reduction initiatives. All residents are asked to use energy responsibly. In particular to ensure that:

  • All gas or electrical items are turned off when rooms are empty unless required for security.
  • All laptops or PCs are set to hibernate or standby. To set your computer go to the start menu, select control panel, select power options (often found in Performance and Maintenance) then select standby or hibernate.

Students must familiarise themselves with the fire and safety regulations and procedures.

Fire alarm testing and drill: Fire alarms will be tested weekly on Wednesdays between 9am and 9:30am.  You do not need to evacuate during a fire alarm test.  If you hear a fire alarm at any other time or if the fire alarm sounds continuously for more than 10 seconds you must evacuate the building immediately.

Emergency Assembly Point: The assembly point for all students is the grass area behind Old Quad Houses I – M. No one should leave the assembly area until a roll call has been made and the building checked for safety. You must not return to evacuated buildings until told to do so by a member of staff. 

Fire Evacuation procedure:

  1. Residents must evacuate promptly if the alarm activates
  2. Shut doors behind you as you leave
  3. Shout 'FIRE' and knock on any bedroom doors on your escape route out of the building
  4. Go to the Assembly point and wait for Security
  5. Advise Security what you know, for example, if it's a real fire/where/what, is anyone still in building?
  6. Do not not re-enter the building until told to do so by an official university employee or the fire brigade.

Please read the Action in Case of Fire notice in your flat or on your corridor and make sure you have familiarised yourself with fire exit routes from your room and from communal parts of the residence.

The Residence is equipped with fire and smoke alarms, and with fire fighting equipment. This equipment must not be tampered with. All study bedrooms are equipped with smoke detectors and some are linked to the automatic fire alarm. These are very sensitive and are easily set off. False alarms cause disruption and annoyance to all other residents. False alarms also put lives at risk. If the fire and rescue service is dealing with a false alarm, they can’t go to help those in need at a real emergency, such as a fire or road traffic collision. Please do all you can to limit false alarms. The most common cause of false fire alarms is cooking setting off corridor alarms because the kitchen door has been propped open. The highest fire risks arise from cooking being left unattended or students using dirty pans especially grill pans.

Fire exit doors/routes must be kept free from obstruction at all times. Do not obstruct corridors and stairs. These must be clear so that in the event of a fire rapid exit from buildings is possible. This is one reason why bikes are not to be brought into buildings. Anything found to be obstructing a fire exit may be removed into storage without notice. The covering of fire safety signs is also prohibited.

First aid

First Aid Boxes are located in the Student Support Centre, Bar and Dining Room.

Gardens and grounds

The gardens and grounds are maintained by the University. In the case of ice or snow access will be cleared by the residence porters or grounds services as appropriate. Please note that Residences’ gardens or grounds may be shared with other University Departments and may be used for events such as weddings or conferences.


We regret that due to coronavirus, for the 2020/21 academic year we cannot have any visitors staying in any of our residences.


The University does not accept responsibility for residents’ personal possessions. Your first payment includes a fee for block contents insurance, it is essential that you check the cover provided is adequate to your needs.

Kitchens and pantries

Each kitchen /pantry is supplied with a minimum requirement of a microwave, kettle and toaster and refrigerator for food storage, plus a freezer in self-catered residences, depending on the number of users for each area. All equipment supplied by the University of Bristol will be maintained in good order and repair.

Remember that any electrical equipment you bring into your kitchen must be safe. Electrical appliances may be inspected by staff and removed to storage at their absolute discretion if in their view they may present a risk.


The launderette can be found on the ground floor of UVW block. On arrival at Hall you will be given a card to operate the machines. You will need this card to create an online account to add credit. Comprehensive instructions are above the machines.

Any issues with the equipment please contact the suppliers, Wash Station, direct on their Freephone helpline. 0800 141 2331. This number is also on each of the machines.

Lost cards can be replaced at a cost of £10. Please visit the Student Support Centre for a new card.

Students should not dry wet clothes in their rooms as this causes condensation and mould. Experts have found that clothes put on drying frames or draped over warm radiators raise moisture levels in our homes by up to 30 per cent, creating ideal breeding conditions for mould spores – and one in particular called aspergillus fumigatus, which can cause potentially fatal lung infections. 


Residents are responsible for ensuring that the grounds are kept free of litter.

Lost keys and lock outs

If you are locked out, please call or visit your Student Support Centre who will be able to let you back into your room. You will need to provide identification.

If you have lost your key you will be charged a replacement fee of up to £35 per key.

If you lose your keys on three occasions, your lock will be considered insecure and will need to be replaced completely. You will be charged up to £200 to cover the cost of replacing the lock. 

Lost property

Lost Property will be kept in the North Village Student Support Centre, and disposed of within 2 months if not claimed.


For items such as general letters that do not require a signature on delivery you should use your residence address: 

Wills Hall
Parrys Lane

Recorded items that require a signature on delivery must be addressed to the North Village Student Support Centre at:

Student Support Centre – North 
Hiatt Baker Main Building 
Parry’s Lane 

Please refer to our postal policy PDF for more details.


All University of Bristol residences are managed in compliance with Universities UK Code of Practice, a copy is available in the Hall office.

Meals and catering

Term time weekday meal times:
Breakfast: 07:30 – 09:00
Evening meal: 18:00 – 19:30 (Late meals can be booked in advance for collection up to 20:00hrs, weekdays only)

Term time weekend meal times:
Breakfast: 09:30 - 12:00 (cooked), 08:30 - 12:00 (continental)
Lunch: 12:00 - 13:30

A streamlined catering service is provided during the Christmas and Easter vacations, served from either Clifton Hill House or Churchill Hall.

Staff will ask to see your meal card before serving you.

Meals are provided for residents only. If you wish to bring a guest please inform a member of staff at the Servery. Any student who lends his or her meal card or misuses it in any other way will be charged for the meals taken and may face disciplinary action.

Meals are intended to be eaten in the dining hall, students should not remove food or crockery from the dining hall. Your dress in the Dining Hall should be such that it gives offence neither to staff nor fellow diners. Pyjamas, dressing gowns, sportswear, swimwear and bare feet are unacceptable. There are occasional formal meals when some formality of dress is expected. Alcohol should not be taken into the Dining Hall. Packed meals are available for residents unable to attend meals but 24 hours notice must be given to the Catering Manager.

Dietary requirements: please ensure you have told us about any food allergies via e induction

If you lose your meal card then please speak to the staff in the Dining Hall to see if it has been handed in to them. If it hasn't then you can order a new one from them and this will normally be made for you within 24 hours. A new meal card is £5, payable in cash or cheque (payable to the University of Bristol) and this can be paid either at the time of order or collection.

Medical care

You are advised to register with the University Students’ Health Service, registration events will take place throughout Arrivals’ Week.

Students with disabilities or special needs

If you have a disability or if you are ill or sustain an injury that could prevent you from leaving your accommodation in an emergency please ensure that you make your Student Support Centre aware so that suitable measures can be put in place to enable you to live comfortably and safely in your residence.

PEEPs (Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan) are intended to be used to plan in advance for those who may need assistance or special arrangements during an emergency evacuation of the building.  The PEEP will be completed by the Accommodation Manager and the individual and be signed-off by the Fire Safety Adviser.

Moving out

We recommend that you use our handy moving out checklist (PDF) for a list of things you will need to do on moving out of your accommodation. Get your flatmates together and work together to make all communal areas clean and tidy.   

One of the most common charges student incur when they move out is for the removal of items that have left behind, both rubbish and unwanted items. Try and reduce your waste by taking things with you to your new accommodation. If you want to get rid of things that are reusable then please donate them, don't put them out with the rubbish. Find out more from our moving out pages

Cars, parking and transport

Cars and parking
The University offers a limited number of residential parking permits to students living in University-allocated accommodation. Before bringing your vehicle to University-allocated accommodation, please ensure that you have applied for and obtained a parking permit. Anybody wishing to park onsite (even for a short while) needs to pay for visitor parking

Students should not bring a car to Bristol unless it is essential, for example because of a disability. Bristol is a highly congested city and there are many restrictions on parking in place. The main University campus is contained within the Kingsdown Residents’ Parking Scheme area (KRPS) and the majority of on-street parking in and around the campus is subject to residential permits, meters and time limits. You should be aware that that the cycle path marked along Parry’s Lane by a broken white line is an advisory marking telling motorists they should not drive or park in cycle lanes unless absolutely necessary. Cars parked on this cycle path will be ticketed. 

Sustainable travel is embedded within University culture and the University actively encourages the use of alternative methods of travel. Sustainable travel benefits your environment, your health and well-being as well as your finances. Information about your transport options can be found on our student travelwebpages.

Bus travel 
All students in our undergraduate residences receive a bus pass for the U1 Bristol UniBus service.


All repairs must be reported using your Accommodation Portal. Reporting a problem any other way may result in a delay in getting the repair seen to. 

Décor and furnishings will be maintained in good order in accordance with the relevant regulations, with regular checks taken on defects. Repairs are managed and carried out by the University’s Building Services who also ensure that the University complies with the Statutory Requirements of Legislation affecting the safe and efficient use of the residences. Building Services aims to respond to repair requests to a timetable:

  • Emergency (e.g. loss of water supply, major flood) - response within one hour, rectification as soon as possible but within 24 hours
  • Critical (e.g. loss of heating, cooking facilities) - response and repair commenced within 24 hours
  • Urgent (e.g. minor leak, blocked drain) - response and repair commenced with 5 working days
  • Routine (e.g. repair to non-essential furniture or kitchen equipment) - a specific date will be agreed usually within 5 weeks.
Rubbish and recycling

Recycling facilities are located:

  • In the garage in the car park behind Old Quad
  • At the back of UVW by the laundrette

We provide recycling and composting facilities for all students at their halls of residence and also at every University building. You can recycle the following items:

  • Papers
  • Cardboard
  • Glass
  • Tins and cans
  • Plastics
  • Food waste
  • Clothes, shoes, bric-a-brac etc

For more information, see our green university pages. 


Emergency number (24 hour): 0117 331 1223 (internal 112233)

Non-emergency number: 0117 928 7848 (internal 87848)

Security is managed by the University’s Security Services in accordance with a Service Level Agreement. There are University Security patrols on duty throughout the night. 

Social spaces

Due to coronavirus the below times and access may change.  Please check in your residence for the most up-to-date information.

We are fortunate in the range of facilities we have at Wills. As far as sport is concerned there are tennis courts, squash courts, an outdoor recreational area, an outdoor gym, a croquet lawn and plenty of open space. The squash courts and tennis courts are open for use by any student in Stoke Bishop and can be booked online. The door codes are available from the Student Support Centre.

During the summer you may borrow a croquet set from the Student Support Centre on presentation of your UCard as a deposit.

Inside Wills we have a full size snooker table and a table tennis room. Again the codes are available from the Student Support Centre.

There are lots of communal areas in the hall. Next to the Junior Common Room/Bar is the Old Court Lounge. This is home to one of the hall’s three grand pianos and students are welcome to practice in here outside of office hours. There is a selection of comfy chairs in here for relaxing and tables and WiFi coverage if students wish to come and work here.

The other grand pianos are in the Dining Hall and in the Chapel and we also have an upright piano in our music practice room in N House. These can be used for practice at any time of the day.

N House is home to the Quiet Lounge and there are more sofas in here. The Book Room is just down the corridor and provides room for quiet study. Students are welcome to borrow the books in here, as long as they are returned and the hall has recently purchased a selection of classic English and American literature for a little light reading outside of course books. N House is locked up at 11pm each evening.

There is a 24 hour study suite and table tennis room in Y block which is open to all Wills students. Please be considerate to others and leave the desks clear when you have finished in any study rooms so others can use the space. This is particularly important in the summer term.

There is a Bar in the Junior Common Room with a club licence, all hall residents being members of the Club. It is open 8pm-10.30pm daily, (11pm on Fridays and Saturdays) for club members and their guests. Alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks are available and you can pay by cash or card. In order to comply with our licensing rules you will need to show your Ucard to be served in the bar. You may bring guests to the bar but they must be signed in (ask the bar staff for the guest book). The Junior Common Room is open during the day and there is table football and a pool table in here. Pool cues are available to borrow from behind the bar during opening hours. There is also WiFi in here.

A Computer Room is available 24 hours a day for use by members of the hall. The door code is available from the Student Support Centre. There are two fixed computers plus WiFi in here and the printer is networked to allow students to print from their accounts. Any problems with the equipment need to be reported to IT Services and the details to do this are on the wall in the Computer Room.

The hall chapel was built through the benefaction of Dame Monica Wills. It is part of this hall, but is used also by members of other North Village residences. Services are held during term time, and the chapel is also kept quiet for personal meditation at certain times each week. It is also available for personal or group music practice. In 2008 through the generosity of the Wills Hall Association a pipe organ was installed in the Chapel, and is available for music practice, as are a grand piano and a harpsichord, stored in the side chapel. 

You can book the following rooms to use for meetings and certain events: the Michael Wong Pakshong Lounge, the Quiet Room, study rooms in blocks, X,Y and Z, the Chapel and the Book Room. Please see the Residential Life Team for further information.

Television licenses

If you watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV – on any device – you need to be covered by a TV Licence. That includes a TV, laptop, tablet, mobile phone, games console, digital box, DVD/VHS recorder or anything else. Our residence licence doesn’t cover a student in their room, and your parents’ licence also won’t cover you.

You also need to be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This applies to any device and provider you use. For more information and to buy a license, visit the TV Licensing website.


Due to coronavirus, transfers between living circles will only be considered if there is an extremely serious welfare need.

Students wishing to transfer between residences should complete and return the transfer form which they will find on the accommodation office transfers page. No transfers will take place during the first two weeks of term. The accommodation office will contact students if a suitable room becomes available, priority for transfers will be given to anyone who needs to transfer because of a health problem or a disability. Students are expected to leave their rooms clean and ready for the new tenant.  A re-letting fee of up to £100 may be charged.

Students wishing to transfer rooms within their own residence should contact their Student Support Centre. No transfers will take place during the first two weeks of term. Priority for transfers will be given to anyone who needs to move because of a health problem or a disability. A re-letting fee of up to £20 may be charged to cover the costs of administration, room cleaning etc.

Advice and support

If you are experiencing any difficulties with any aspect of your living situation or life at University, contact your Student Support Centre within the North Village, which is based near to Hiatt Baker. You can phone them on 0117 42 83300 or call in at any time - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 

Other support is available from the Accommodation Office for help with all housing related problems, the Student Fees and Funding Office for help with all money problems, and Student Services, which provides access to a wide range of help and support. The Bristol Students’ Union also provides support and advice to all students on a range of issues.

B:Active residences

B:Active residences is a programme of free healthy physical activity opportunities for all students living in University-allocated accommodation, with hubs in the North Village, East Village and West Village. Visit the Active residences pages for full details and timetables.


Wills has a tradition of regular formal dinners, usually on Fridays. The dress code for formal meals requires all students to wear academic gowns and formal evening wear. The dress code for all residents (as appropriate to your gender identity) is jacket and tie or black tie, a cocktail dress or formal skirt and top or trousers and top (rather than a ball dress). National dress is also appropriate. Gowns will be available for purchase on arrival.

Students and guests attending formal meals must be in the dining hall by 7.20pm. Please do not leave the hall for a cigarette break etc during the meal. Diners are expected to remain seated for the duration of dinner and not wander around or otherwise impede the work of the serving staff.

You are allowed to bring an opened bottle of wine or a soft drink (but not spirits or beers) into a Formal, which you are encouraged to share with another diner.

There is limited space for guests at most formal meals. Places for all Formals, including guest tickets, can be reserved and paid for online. Most Formals are without charge (some are included in the rental charge, others are subsidised by the JCR); others are paid for via ticketing. All guests are ticketed and charged. 

Internet connection

The residence has access to fast wireless (802.11ac) and this will be the main way you’ll connect your devices. In addition to wi-fi, almost all locations also have a wired ethernet connection too. Find out how to connect by visiting the resnet connection guide

Building map

Download a map of Wills Hall showing where key communal facilities are. 

Find us on Facebook

Meet your fellow residents over on our official Wills Hall Facebook Page.

Edit this page