After you apply

Find out what happens after you've applied for a Study Abroad programme at the University of Bristol.

1. Accept your offer

Offers are made on a rolling basis. We aim to make an offer within four weeks of receiving your completed application and supporting documents.

Once you are offered a place, you must formally accept it. We will confirm your acceptance by sending you an acceptance and pre-arrival letter, which will include information about living and studying in Bristol.

2. Apply for your visa

Full-year students

If you do not hold a UK/Irish passport and will be studying at Bristol for more than 6 months, you must apply for a Student visa. We will send you a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) around 3 months prior to the start of your programme. You will need the number on your CAS to apply for your visa.

One semester students

Non-UK/Irish passport holders who will be studying at Bristol for only one semester must obtain a Standard Visitor visa. Some nationalities can receive this visa at the UK border, but some will need to obtain it in advance of travel. You can use this online tool to check whether you need to apply in advance.

Irish citizens

Irish passport holders do not need to obtain a visa and should follow the advice on the Common Travel Area webpage.

If you have any questions about applying for a visa, please contact Student Visa Services.

3. Apply for accommodation

Once you have accepted your place on our Study Abroad programme, you will receive more information about accommodation and how to apply.

University accommodation

You are guaranteed University accommodation if you are coming to Bristol for a full academic year or the autumn semester.

We cannot guarantee you University accommodation if you are coming for the spring semester only, but we will make every effort to place you and will help you find private rented accommodation if no University accommodation is available. 

Private rented accommodation

After the first year at university, most UK students live off-campus. If you prefer an independent lifestyle, you could look for rented accommodation in the private sector. 

Most student rental agreements are for nine months, so we recommend this option for full academic year students only. If you are coming for one semester and wish to stay in private accommodation, contact us for help and advice.

Please note that if you are living in privately rented accommodation, you will be liable for paying council tax for any dates outside your official university registration. You may be exempt from council tax during university term dates, but you will need to apply for this exemption. More information can be found here.

4. Prepare for your arrival in Bristol

Find information for new international students and details of our Welcome Lounge where you can meet other students and get practical advice.


Study Abroad orientation will take place at the start of term, shortly after you arrive. Orientation is compulsory and will provide you with the information you need to help you settle into Bristol and finalise your unit registrations. More information about orientation will be sent by the Global Opportunities team shortly before the start of term.

Edit this page