Complaints about student behaviour

The University treats complaints about student misconduct in the community very seriously and there is a process in place to address and monitor reported problems. We will formally communicate with students who are known to have behaved in an unacceptable manner. The objective is to end such behaviour and to avoid any repetition of it. 

What to do if you are experiencing a problem

In the first instance we would ask you to try to resolve the matter with the student(s). For some students this may be their first time living independently in the private sector and they may not have realised that their behaviour has affected anyone else. An effective approach with regards to noise problems is to take the students’ mobile numbers and to agree that you will give them a call if you are disturbed in the future.

These templates may help ease introductions:

Say hello (PDF, 151kB)  to students

Say hello (PDF, 151kB) to your neighbours

You may also wish to take the matter up with the landlord or letting agency. You can find out the name and address of a landlord via the Land Registry. There may be a charge for this service.

Waste and recycling mismanagement

Sometimes a gentle reminder is all that is needed. One option is to print and post these flyers (there are two per page) which address common problems: bins on the pavement (PDF, 118kB)incorrectly sorted recycling (PDF, 169kB) and overflowing bins (PDF, 106kB). If this does not prove effective then please report as a complaint.

These pre-emptive messages may be useful in advance of students going away for the holidays (PDF, 118kB) or around April/May when they will be ‌.

How to report a problem

If you are unable to resolve the issue with the students then our Community Liaison Officer will be happy to assist. If possible find out the names or address of the students you wish to complain about, and/or which University they attend. Complaints made against any students are treated in the strictest of confidence.

Telephone us on 0117 954 6640 or email:

Who else can help?

It is important to remember that the University does not have legal enforcement powers in many situations and therefore you may wish to contact the organisation that does have more appropriate powers.

The University of Bristol and the University of the West of England Community Liaison teams and Bristol City Council Neighbourhood Enforcement have a joint working protocol (PDF, 178kB) for responding to noise and environmental nuisance involving students.

For issue specific contacts please see below:

Policies and Procedures

The University has a Good Neighbour Policy (PDF, 188KB) as well as Local Rules (PDF, 101kB) for students living in the community. 

Complaints and disciplinary procedure

In most incidences, once students have been made aware of complaints made against them, then the offending behaviour will stop and not be repeated.

However, should this not be the case and further complaints are received, then the consequences for students escalate in line with the complaints and disciplinary procedure.

The procedure is demonstrated in this complaints flow chart (PDF, 13kB).

Student Union Club or Society Code of Conduct

All Student Union clubs and societies operate within a Code of Conduct which sets out the level of behaviour and discipline expected of all members.

Comments or concerns about student behaviour related to Student Union club or society activity should be reported using the form on the SU feedback and complaints page.

Edit this page