Right-to-Study check

If your nationality indicates that you are subject to immigration control, you need to complete a Right-to-study check. When you complete online registration you will be told whether you need to do this check.

You need to provide digital copies of your passport, visa and the documents listed on your Document Checklist.

How to complete your Right-to-Study check

  • You must provide your Right-to-Study check documents after you register online:
    • as soon as you have completed online registration if you are already in the UK.
    • when your arrive in the UK if you arrive later.
  • Our Student Visa Services team will review the documents and information you provide.
  • They will update your student record to show that your Right-to-Study check is complete.
  • We will only contact you if we require further information or need to discuss your situation. Please reply quickly if we contact you.

Currently students using the Safari web browser are unable to successfully use this form. Please use another browser such as Google Chrome or Internet explorer while we investigate the issue. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Complete your Right-to-Study check

Why we need to do a Right-to-Study check

The University has been granted a Student sponsor licence by UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) and must fulfil a number of sponsor duties to sponsor students to study here.

One responsibility is to ensure that every student at our institution has permission to study in the UK throughout the whole period of their study. To comply with this, we check the immigration information you provide to make sure it meets UKVI requirements and that you have the Right to Study in the UK.

We store copies of these documents as part of our sponsor duties. Please don't worry about this check. It is unlikely there will be any significant issues.

If you have any questions about the form and checks, please email svs-reg@bristol.ac.uk. If you have any questions about your visa or immigration status, please contact Student Visa Services.

What happens if you don't carry out a Right-to-Study check

If you don't provide the documents requested, or if your documents don't meet UKVI requirements, we may require you to withdraw from the University.

Collect Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

If you are on a Student visa you need a BRP card. The BRP card is proof of your immigration status in the UK as a Student visa holder.
More information about Biometric Residence Permits and how to collect them.

Edit this page