Clinical electives for visiting undergraduate students
Bristol Medical School offers a limited number of clinical elective placements to visiting students in their final year of study.
Clinical elective placements:
are located in one of our Clinical Academies.
- are between four and eight weeks long. They cannot be extended once dates have been agreed.
- are limited in number: you need to apply well in advance.
Who can apply
Undergraduate medical students can apply if they are in the final or penultimate year of study before qualifying as a doctor.
As a visiting student, your qualifications are subject to the same scrutiny that is applied to all students at the University of Bristol.
You will be asked to provide evidence. This may include:
- a full occupational health check
- a record of appropriate immunisations
- criminal record check
All students are required to sign and abide by the Code of Practice for medical undergraduates.
If you require a visa to study in the UK, please contact the Student Visas Team to discuss your options.
How to apply
The following Clinical Academies offer clinical elective placements. You should contact the Clinical Academy of your choice to arrange a placement. A non-refundable fee is payable at the time of acceptance and confirmation of the elective.
- Bath, based at the Royal United Hospital. Due to the current uncertainty and until further notice, Bath Academy is not accepting applications for medical student elective placements.
- North Bristol, based at Southmead Hospital. This Academy is not accepting any further applications for medical student elective placements in the summer of 2022. The application window for elective placements in the summer of 2023 will open on 1 November 2022, and will close when the number of accepted applications has reached the pre-determined limit.
- Somerset, based at Musgrove Park Hospital in Taunton and Yeovil District Hospital. Somerset Academy is not accepting applications for medical student elective placements at this time.
- South Bristol, based Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol Children’s Hospital, Bristol Eye Hospital, BHOC, Bristol Heart Institute or St Michael’s Hospital. Only placements between the months of May and August will be considered. Unfortunately, places for Summer 2022 are already filled, however we are happy to discuss placements for 2023. The number of places is limited and places will not be guaranteed until a Supervisor is confirmed. Contact: email@example.com.
- If you wish to apply for an elective placement outside of May - August, there may be extra opportunities in the Emergency Department of Bristol Royal Hospital for Children. Feel free to get in contact with us any time if you'd like further information. Contact: Michael.Malley@uhbw.nhs.uk
- Swindon, based at Swindon General Hospital (40 miles from Bristol). A limited number of electives are available. No further electives can be accepted in Emergency Department, Intensive Treatment Unit, Anaesthetics. Paediatrics or Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Contact: Charlotte Goode firstname.lastname@example.org