About our working environment
The School of Mathematics is a supporter of the London Mathematical Society Good Practice Scheme.
This scheme aims to advance women's careers in university mathematics departments. As supporter, the School of Mathematics is committed to:
- a robust organisational framework to deliver equality of opportunity and reward;
- appointment, promotion and selection processes and procedures that encourage men and women to apply for academic posts at all levels;
- structures and systems that enable men and women to progress and continue in their careers;
- organisation, structure, management arrangements and culture that are open, inclusive and transparent and encourage the participation of all staff;
- flexible approaches and provisions that encompass the working day, the working year and a working life and enable individuals at all career and life stages, to maximise their contribution to mathematics, their department and institution.
The school actively supports women in mathematics and holds regular events.
At 1pm every Tuesday during term time all women in the School of Mathematics and the Department of Engineering Mathematics are encouraged to meet over lunch at the 4th floor seminar room of Howard House.
This includes all female staff and graduate students. In many areas of mathematics women are in the minority and this is a chance to meet female staff and postgraduate students they would not normally encounter.
New female undergraduates
Each October first-year female undergraduates in mathematics and engineering mathematics are invited to tea and cakes with female members of staff and postgraduate students. This is a chance for the students to meet each other and also to see who the women in mathematics are so that they feel able to come and ask for advice later during their degree if necessary.
Third and fourth year female undergraduates
Each year upper-year female undergraduates are invited to tea and cakes with female members of staff and graduate students. This is a chance to talk about careers options and opportunities for graduate study.
Current staff and students will find more information on the school intranet.
Positive working environment
PositiveWorking@Bristol aims to make working life at the University of Bristol productive, rewarding, enjoyable and healthy for all colleagues.