Our courses aim to support, inspire and create new opportunities.
These adult part-time learning courses are open to the public. No qualifications required for most of these courses. Please check individual course listings for entry requirements.
Bookings are made using the University secure online shop. Places are given on a first come basis.
Reading English Literature
This course aims to be enjoyable introduction to the study of classic and modern literature. Share your ideas, explore poetry and gain a greater understanding of Shakespeare. Application details will be available soon.
Mastering English Literature
This courses is for graduates in any discipline from any university who want to return to study and sharpen their study skills or prepare for the MA in English Literature at Bristol.
Short courses for literature and creative writing
- The Monthly ReadIf you enjoy reading literature for pleasure, would like to build your confidence in discussing texts and be introduced to new ideas, this course could be for you.
- Fiction Writing WorkshopsThis workshop provides an inspiring space to sharpen skills for those already engaged in creative writing projects. It also creates a supportive space for those who would like some encouragement to get started on their creative venture.
- Gothic Fiction - Tales that go bump in the nightA sinister gathering of eerie tales await brave readers on this new 8 week course at the University of Bristol.
- Creative Writing Course: Writing for Young ReadersWould you like to write for children and young people? Multi-Carnegie medal nominee Mimi Thebo takes you through the issues, techniques and processes.
- Detective and Crime FictionA new 8 week course exploring detective and crime fictions from its beginnings in the nineteenth century with real crime stories and sensation novels to golden age and hard boiled fiction to modern crime fictions.
- The Monthly Read
We also run part-time taster courses for adults in collaboration with community groups. If you run a community group and would like to find out more, please get in touch.
Are these courses for me?
Our short courses provide a variety of avenues for adult learners. Some simply aim to reconnect people with the pleasures of reading and discussing literature in a group. Some offer a bridge into Higher Education, a degree or a post graduate qualification.
Our students often start their journey back into education after a break from study. They range in age from 19 to 80 and our student community crosses all barriers of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, social class and educational achievement. These courses offer a bridge into higher education.
Perhaps you have been busy raising a family or holding down a career and would like to do something new in your extra time. Did you leave education before you achieved the qualifications you would now like to gain?
We have workshops in 'Creative Writing' and a specialist workshop in 'Shakespeare and Performance'. These workshops can help you progress creative projects you may already be engaged in. They can help you get started with projects you dream of creating!
If you would like course information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out about our students
"MEL turned out to be a good way to bolster my MA application as well as a practical preparation for graduate study. But it was also enjoyable and worthwhile of itself."
"I learnt a lot about essay writing and about close reading. I’d never done that before: unpacking paragraphs and seeing other ways of reading books than as a straightforward form of entertainment, which was crucial before going on to the MA."
Please address any enquiries about the courses to:
Department of English Part-time Courses
School of Humanities
11 Woodland Road
Bristol BS8 1TB
Tel: 0117 928 8924