The Department of English has expertise in all aspects of literature from the poetry and drama of the Middle Ages to contemporary writing.
Our work incorporates innovative theoretical approaches and interdisciplinary methods, while remaining committed to the core values of textual scholarship. Department members are involved in a number of interdisciplinary Arts Faculty Research Clusters, including Borders and Borderlands, Early Modern Studies, Global Feminisms, and The Perspective from the Sea.
Here are a selection of current and recent, funded projects led by our academics:
- Modernism, Medicine and the Embodied Mind
- Penguin Archive Project
- The Album Poem and Nineteenth-Century Manuscript Culture
- Dynamics of the Medieval Manuscript: Text Collections from a European Perspective
- 'Literary Archaeology': Exploring the Lived Environment of the Slave
Members of our department are closely involved in the following University research centres:
- Bristol Poetry Institute
- Centre for Medieval Studies
- Centre for Romantic and Victorian Studies
- Institute of Greece, Rome & the Classical Tradition
We run a regular research-seminar series that takes place every fortnight during term time. We also host numerous conferences and other research events for the academic community and the general public.
Beyond the department
Looking to join us?
Interested in being a visiting researcher?
If you would like to be a visiting researcher at the University of Bristol, please see the School of Humanities' guidelines for visiting researchers, where you will also find an application form.