The Department of English has expertise in all areas of literary studies, from Old and Middle English literature to contemporary writing, global literatures in English, and creative writing.
Our work incorporates innovative theoretical approaches and interdisciplinary methods while remaining committed to the core values of textual scholarship. Department members collaborate on specific thematic projects and are also involved in the interdisciplinary Faculty Research Centres and Clusters.
A selection of current and recently funded projects led by members of the English department.
- The Dynamics of the Medieval Manuscript
- Modernism, Medicine and the Embodied Mind
- Literary Archaeology: Exploring the Lived Environment of the Slave
- Ugandan Youth and Creative Writing
- Small Magazines, Literary Networks and Self-Fashioning in Africa and its Diasporas
For examples of recent research by individual members of staff, see our Bookshelf on our home page.
Members of our department are closely involved in the following University research centres:
- Bristol Poetry Institute
- Centre for Medieval Studies
- Centre for Romantic and Victorian Studies
- Institute of Greece, Rome & the Classical Tradition
We run a regular research-seminar series that takes place every fortnight during term time. We also host numerous conferences and other research events for the academic community and the general public.
Beyond the department
Looking to join us?
Interested in being a visiting researcher?
If you would like to be a visiting researcher at the University of Bristol, please see the School of Humanities' guidelines for visiting researchers, where you will also find an application form.