Religious Education PGCE
This one year programme leads to a PGCE, recommendation for QTS and 60 credits at Master's level.
Religious Education (RE) is an important and necessary element of a broad and balanced school curriculum. RE enables pupils understand the beliefs and practices of different religious people. A wide range of worldviews which make up our pluralist and multi-faith society is explored.
On our programme we consider the nature of religion as well as the place of religion in school life. We explore the reasons for teaching RE in schools and give guidance on how to teach the subject.
What you will learn
You will be introduced to and explore:
- the key aims of RE
- alternative pedagogical approaches to the subject
- the general process of learning and teaching
- planning lessons that meet the requirements of the RE curriculum
- how to assess pupil’s work and support them to GCSE and A-Level.
Experiences in school
There will be a short primary school experience during the PGCE year. This work allows you to understand the child's experience before they go into secondary school.
During the first term, you begin with preliminary visits to a secondary school. These visits will help prepare you for a shorter placement in that school.
In the spring term, you will be on placement in a different secondary school. This placement will last the duration of the spring term.
You will have another placement in the third term, possibly in a different school again.
You will benefit greatly from having your placements spread across different schools. They will provide you with the opportunity to:
- compare and contrast your experiences
- face different challenges and achieve different triumphs
- see different teaching styles
- learn how you can adapt to different situations.
By the end of your third teaching placement, you will have developed into a confident teacher with your own teaching style.
We will support you throughout your teaching experiences and you have a mentor in school. These specially trained teachers are committed to developing your practice in the classroom.
You’ll further develop your existing subject knowledge and teaching experience through:
- a series of trips to places of worship
- visits to sites of religious interest
- working with experienced teachers both in school and at the university.
Due to the COVID19 pandemic and in line with government policy, some of our PGCE team are working remotely so are not contactable by telephone. Please contact us by email so we can assist.
Initial Teacher Education (PGCE and School Direct) Office
Phone: +44 (0) 117 331 4492
School of Education
University of Bristol
35 Berkeley Square
Bristol, BS8 1JA
The tutor for Religious Education is Ms Teresa Griffiths.