Initial Teacher Education (Teacher training)
Our PGCE for secondary teaching was awarded 'Outstanding' in our latest OFSTED inspection, so you know you'll be well trained to inspire the next generation
We work with local schools, colleges and academies to offer you two routes in secondary teaching.
- You receive training at the university and have placements in at least 2 schools;
- You are closely supported by school mentors and your university tutor during this time.
- You are recruited by a local school;
- You know where your placements will be in advance;
- You will have the full support of the university, including a university tutor and access to all facilities.
Each route is designed to help you become an outstanding subject practitioner and enable you to work well in a range of schools. Compare the different routes to decide which one is right for you.
Who the PGCE is for
If you have a passion for your subject and you want to inspire the next generation, teaching could be the career for you. Our PGCE programmes are demanding and hands-on but you’ll be supported and guided to become an excellent qualified teacher.
We welcome applicants from any backgrounds including graduates from Bristol, graduates from other universities and career changers. We want to see all of our students become excellent teachers and future leaders.
- Top 5 Good Teacher Training guide 2017
- 'Outstanding Provider Status'
- High employability rates
- Great reviews by our current and former students
- Designated specialist tutor
- 11-18 qualification
- Strong partnerships with schools
- Unique opportunities to consider global issues in your teaching
- Placement in a primary school before the programme starts to provide you with crucial context
- Opportunity to gain experience in a school for students with special educational needs and/or disabilities.
Listen to our programme director
Jayne, our programme director discusses the University PGCE and the School Direct PGCE and what it is like to train to teach at the University of Bristol.
You will receive an excellent teacher training that combines theory with practice whichever route you choose. We offer teacher training for the following subjects.
Where would we be without words? And why do writers in English so frequently use alliteration? The English programme invites you to ask and answer these questions and more.
Geography isn’t just about maps. On our Geography PGCE you will discover how to help pupils find out about our world and the people it contains.
Important lessons come from history. Train as a history teacher and bring history to life for young people.
Our Mathematics PGCE trains you how to support those who struggle and how to test those who excel. Learn how to take your pupils from basic mental arithmetic to algebra and Pythagoras.
Modern Foreign Languages (French, German, Italian, Spanish)
MFL teaching is exciting, rewarding and challlenging; our comprehensive and rigorous MFL course will equip you to meet all the challenges and to enjoy your career as a languages teacher.
Help young people learn how to make great music. Our Music PGCE includes a range of musical instruments, influences and technology.
Discover how to engage young people in exploring world religions and the different themes and topics within.
Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
Develop as a confident, effective practitioner who can teach science and your specialist subject in ways that deepen pupils' understanding and motivate them to take their study of science further.
School taster days
Taster days are an ideal opportunity to spend time in a school. They’ll help you decide if being a teacher is for you. They’ll also give you invaluable experience to strengthen your application. Taster days local to Bristol include:
- Excalibur Experience Days (PDF, 397kB) and Excalibur Experience Days - Spring 2018 (PDF, 398kB)
- North Somerset Teaching Alliance taster days (PDF, 2,543kB)
- St Mary Redcliffe and Temple School. Fill out an application to their BROI Teacher Taster Days (Office document, 242kB).
Register your interest to find out about events, updates and important information about the PGCE and studying at Bristol.
Initial Teacher Education leaflet
Our new leaflet (PDF, 471kB) is available for dowload.